Dumbarnie Links is a true Premier Links course with a modern twist and is blessed with an impressive expanse of beach and water frontage. The 18-hole course has been founded, developed and designed by renowned course architect, Clive Clark.
The aim of Dumbarnie Links when it opens in the summer of 2020 is to provide a world-class, prestigious golf course on a site of genuine links land that is only minutes away from St Andrews, the “Home of Golf” coupled with service standards that do justice to the quality of the experience. This incredible piece of land has a mile and a half of sea frontage with panoramic views over the Firth of Forth
At first glance Dumbarnie Links may have the appearance of the style of the classic links courses where The Open Championship has been played since 1860. However, the extensive 345-acre site at Dumbarnie is particularly special. Its dual elevations, which are connected by a flowing escarpment, have provided the opportunity to create a number of elevated tees where holes play directly towards panoramic views of the expansive Firth of Forth. A further outstanding feature is that a number of tees and greens are in close proximity to the water. In fact, fourteen of the holes have views of the Bay and the Firth of Forth.
The design incorporates three potentially driveable Par-4s and features several holes that engender 'risk and reward'. This course is designed to inspire rather than intimidate golfers. Total yardage for the golf course varies from 5,300 to 6,900 yards. However, there is a special set of professional tees positioned such that should an event be held at Dumbarnie sometime in the future, there are 12 extra tees whereby the course can measure up to 7,600 yards.
Dumbarnie Links is part of The Balcarres Estate which is owned by Lord Balniel. The 5000-acre Estate has been in Lord Balniel’s family for more than 400 years and the distinctiveness of this piece of land dates back to the 16th Century. The Balcarres House is also part of the Estate and is based on a mansion built in 1595 by John Lindsay, second son of David, the 9th Earl of Crawford. The buildings and formal gardens are preserved as being of special historic interest; hence the proposed location for the golf course is unquestionably rare and will be associated with a piece of history in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.