Located on the Isle of Cumbrae, the Millport Field Centre is a multi-purpose site providing excellent facilities for educational and recreational use. The centre is situated on the West Coast of Scotland on one of the country’s most accessible islands - only 8 minutes on the ferry from Largs and an hour from Glasgow with excellent road, rail and air links.
First founded in 1897, the centre was purpose built for the study and teachings of marine life, and is one of the oldest marine stations in the UK. The site has long been renowned for its facilities and exceptional teachings on natural histories and biological sciences. In 2014 the centre was taken over by the Field Studies Council (FSC), an environmental educational charity committed to providing learning opportunities and first-hand experiences to people of all ages and abilities. We believe the more we know about the world around us, the more we can appreciate its needs and protect its diversity and beauty for future generations.
Today FSC Millport has revamped the station with state of the art purpose-built conference facilities, twin bedroom en-suite accommodation, 7 teaching spaces (comprising classrooms and laboratories), a research vessel and a fully equipped research aquarium with fresh running sea water throughout the site. FSC Millport hosts visitors of all ages, abilities and backgrounds from nursery schools, primary and secondary schools, Universities, adult learners and research placements from all over the world.