Glenfinnan Monument, at the head of Loch Shiel, was erected, in 1815, in tribute to the Jacobite clansmen who fought and died in the cause of Prince Charles Edward Stuart.
It was designed by the eminent Scottish architect James Gillespie Graham. The raising of the Prince's Standard took place at the head of the loch on 19 August, 1745, in the last attempt to reinstate the exiled Stuarts on the throne of Great Britain and Ireland.
Despite its inspired beginnings and subsequent successes, the Prince's campaign came to its grim conclusion in 1746 on the battlefield at Culloden (see separate entry), also in the care of the National Trust for Scotland.
In the Visitor Centre are displays and an audio programme about the Prince's campaign from Glenfinnan to Derby and back to the final defeat at Culloden.