Our brilliant west coast outdoor environment has a fantastic coast line, multiple white water rivers, beautiful, remote inland lochs, hills, crags, mountains, really, really remote wild lands and a varied coastline on our doorstep. No other area in Europe has the scope of adventure opportunities or the varying levels of activity on offer!
Activities include mountain walking, scrambling, mountaineering, navigation skills, rock climbing, abseiling, winter skills, kayaking or rivers or sea, open Canadian canoeing, white water kayaking, expeditions and dinghy sailing – all with no more than a maximum group size of 1 instructor to 8 participants.
You may be a family looking for a day or half day of skills based outdoor adventure, a group wanting to experience an adventure day or activity break or an individual looking to extend your paddling or mountain skills. While no previous experience is expected on most courses a reasonable level of general fitness is necessary for full days on the water.
Our aim is always to offer an enjoyable first class experience & training in outdoor adventure sports and encourage more folks to explore the great outdoors more often. We provide the knowledge, skills and outdoor expertise to enable our clients look after them selves & to go away with sufficient confidence to enjoy and independently develop their activity of choice no matter what their level of expertise from total novice to expert.
We operate on either a non-residential or residential basis in our self catered apartments or hostel & bunkhouse accommodation. Overnight wild camping is another option to escape and explore further a field.
The Snowgoose Mountain Centre is also Adventure Activities Licensing Authority (AALA) licensed and is an accredited centre (AAP) for delivering Duke of Edinburgh Award Gold & Silver Expeditions on foot and by paddle.
Adventure Activities Provided
Snowgoose Mountain Centre provides:
- Open Canoeing, Sea & River Kayaking for half & full day sessions.
- 2-5 day skills training & private guiding with qualified instructors & guides.
- One day paddling tours by open canoe or sea kayak try the more local lochs Linnhe, Loch Eil, Loch Lochy and Leven.
- The variety of local steep west coast rivers offer multiple opportunities for white water kayaking.
- Hire services for our fleet of open canoes, sea and river kayaks – this is hugely popular for discerning groups of paddlers with previous paddling experience who want to head off independently.
- Our 2 – 5 days guided wilderness expeditions take place along the Great Glen Canoe Trail; The “Rough Bounds” from Glenfinnan down Loch Shiel out to Loch Moidart then Glen Uig and Arisaig; with the more remote Loch Arkaig or Morar; there are loads of other local options for this!
- Rock Climbing at all levels is on offer around Ben Nevis, in Glen Nevis and other locations.
- Hill and Mountain full day walking tours are arranged for the Ben Nevis & Glen Coe Mountains, the Glenfinnan hills, out to Loch Morar & the wilderness mountains of the Knoydart and Ardnamurchan peninsulas, The Aonach range and the Grey Corries.
- Multi Day Mountain Walking Tours are also on offer out to Loch Morar, the wilderness mountains of the Knoydart and Ardnamurchan peninsulas, Loch Laggan, Corrour & Glen Etive areas.
- Winter Walking, Winter Mountaineering and Snow & Ice Courses are our speciality throughout the winter months in the Ben Nevis area.
- Dinghy Sailing in our 16’ sloop rigged Devon Yawls on the sheltered tidal waters of Loch Linnhe.
We operate with a maximum ratio of 1 instructor or guide to 8 participants – this will depend on the activity undertaken, previous experience and level of activity. Multiple groups can always be accommodated.
- Snowgoose Mountain Centre is an inspected and licensed outdoor centre authorised provide to take unaccompanied under 18 year olds on our designated adventure activities. This is a legal requirement for outdoor operators under the Activity Centres (Young Persons’ Safety) Act 1995. Registration Number L11006 / RO565
- Minimum age for all our activities is 8 years.
- There is no maximum age!
- On overnight expeditions 12 year olds are accepted. On expeditions we prefer that all under 16 year olds are accompanied by a parent or responsible adult.
Price Guidelines at beginner level:
- Adult Day Activity - From £65 per person.
- Junior Day Activity - From £45 per person.
- Family Activity Day Ticket (2 adults & 2 juniors) – From £168.
Private Guiding & Group Rates
- Non Technical Guiding (1:1) – From £140 per day plus a supplement per person to a maximum of 8 persons.
- Technical Guiding (1:1)- From £180 per day plus a supplement per person to a maximum of 4 persons.
Gear & Equipment we provide
For all instructor led activity sessions, courses & guiding we provide all technical gear including canoes & kayaks plus paddles, buoyancy aids, spray decks, canoe cags, wet feet & socs; all technical climbing gear (but not mountain boots or personal waterproofs); all safety & emergency gear.
You will need to bring with you
- Warm, layers of outdoor clothing for all adventure activities – at all times of the year.
- Waterproof jacket & over trousers.
- A complete change of clothes & towel for all water based activities.
- An “emergency” snack plus a packed lunch & drink for full day activities.
- Sturdy walking boots for all mountain walking.
- Wellies or trainers for open canoeing or sailing.
- A day sac.
- A plastic bag for any wet gear!
You can hire from us
- River & Sea Kayaks, 2 and 3 man Open Canoes.
- Wet suits – sleeveless long johns.
- Full camping kit & expedition outfitting.
- Summer walking boots for adults & children.
- Winter mountain boots, ice axes & crampons.
- Mountain Bikes.
- Fishing Rods & Tackle.
Other Facilities on site
- Use of lecture / meeting room for up to 12 persons.
- Lockable bike / canoe / kayak storage.
- Mountain Bike, Open Canoe & Sea Kayak hire.
- Use of 2 drying rooms.
- If you are staying with us the use of the washing machine in the drying room along with a tumble dryer.
- Ample free, off road parking space for cars, minibus and trailer.