The church was designed by Arthur George Sydney Mitchell (1856-1930) Mitchell was a renowned Scottish architect holding the post of architect to the Board of Lunacy in Scotland. He designed not only a number of the estates original buildings but also a great number of other town houses, public buildings and churches across Scotland.
The church was built using local red sandstone from Locharbriggs for the exterior and pink sandstone from Thornhill from the interior. The floor features white Sicilian marble and red, green and black Connemara marble in impressive geomantic patterns.
The inside of the church captures maximum light due in part to the delicately coloured stained glass. The stained glass windows depict figures of the virtues Justice, Faith, hope charity and fortitude. These were the work of Oscar Paterson (1863-1934) of the Glass Stainers Co Glasgow.
The first service in the church took place on Sunday 15th October 1897 with a dedication service, where a prayer of dedication from Elizabeth Crichton was read to the congregation.
The organ was installed in 1902 by Lewis and Co of London. TC Lewis was one of the most prolific organ builders in Great Britain at this time. Today there are only two of these organs remaining in Scotland the second being at Kelvingrove Art Museum.
Later additions to the church include a brass angel lectern to commemorate the life of Dr James Rutherford and a baptismal font to commemorate Dr Easterbrook. The South transept houses a memorial plaque to the members of the Crichton Royal Hospital who lost their lives during the First World War.
Today the church is an inter-denominational church and is managed by Easterbrook Hall. The church is used extensively not only for weddings, but also for concerts and events. Access to the church is by prior arrangement with Easterbrook Hall.