Sense of Place ~ drawing & painting holiday in Lewis & Harris from Wild at Art from 21st-30th August 2022. This unique all inclusive Wild at Art vacation is led by artist Nicky Sanderson. We bring alive the human and natural history of this unique location to inform our art.
Be inspired by the most ancient landscapes in Europe, the magical stones of Calanais, the colours of the machair, peat and rocks, the dark hills and bright beaches of Harris. The more we look at the sea, the sky and the hills, harbours and villages, the more layers of colour we discover.
This experience combines travelling with your pencils and paints to discover the roots of a civilisation and the raw beauty of its isolation on the edge of the British Isles, with indoor studio work to develop paintings and sketches further. From two different base locations – Stornoway in Lewis and Tarbert in Harris – we visit different sites, often working in plein air, with indoor alternatives to suit any weather. You will feel a connection to nature as you explore this landscape formed 3,400 million years ago, still sculpted today by wind and rain and human hand.
Drawing with mixed media in your sketchbook, using graphite, charcoal and ink, along with quick washes of colour from your paints provides a record of your experience and the basis of further work. We work with water-based paint – inks and watercolour (or acrylics if you wish) – and add elements of collage if this pleases us. The course is suitable for all skills levels.
This vacation includes:
– 8 days of workshop tuition in different locations
– 9 nights hotel accommodation (Cabarfeidh Hotel in Stornoway, Hotel Hebrides in Tarbert)
– 9 full Scottish breakfasts
– Welcome drinks and 3-course welcome dinner with wine on arrival night
– 3-course farewell dinner with wine on the last night
– Refreshments and in-between nibbles on workshop days
– Minibus transport when travelling as a group while on the island (from and to Stornoway)
– Some art materials
– Studio hire fees
– Entry fee to blackhouse village
– And a member of the Wild at Art team will be with the group throughout to ensure guests are well looked after.
The itinerary is based on careful selection of suppliers and is accurate at the time of publication. But should it be necessary, Wild at Art reserves the right to make changes.
We aim to offer the best balance between touring the islands and working in an indoor studio. Lewis & Harris is a large island so be prepared for some minibus travel between different locations!