The most elaborate Z-plan castle in Scotland, and one of the grandest Castles of Mar, Castle Fraser was built between 1575 and 1636 by the 6th laird, Michael Fraser, and was the supreme work of two great families of master masons, Bell and Leiper. The castle belongs to the same period of native architectural achievement as two neighbouring castles, Crathes and Craigievar, both owned by the Trust. One of its most evocative rooms is the strikingly simple Great Hall. The castle contains many Fraser family portraits, including one by Raeburn, and fine 18th- and 19th-century carpets, curtains and bed hangings. One of the 17th-century laigh biggins now contains a shop selling exclusive gifts. The historic walled garden features shrubs, flowers, wall-trained fruit and vegetables.
The estate contains a flight pond, mixed woodland and open farmland, with two waymarked walks giving magnificent views of the local hills.