Studio and showroom for extraordinary and contemporary fine jewellery. Bespoke goldsmithing, wearable textiles, studio glass and life drawing, all made on site. Design service for old jewellery. Gemstones a speciality.
If you are visiting Caithness, make sure you see Patricia Niemann’s studio in the Old Berriedale Post Office. Patricia is a qualified goldsmith, designer and glass maker, well versed in making bespoke and one-off fine and sculptural jewellery for men and women. Commissions and alterations of old jewellery are invited. Advice on repairs and a design service can be provided.
In the showroom you will find one-off pieces of jewellery, as well as unusual knitted and felted scarves, ponchos, hats and glass objects, all handmade on site. The business is widely known for contemporary and timeless design, meticulous craftsmanship and a dedicated customer service. All work is centered on or around the human body. Other artistic influences include archaeology, anthropology and the location of the studio on a Caithness hunting estate steeped in Highland traditions.
All work is for sale; payment is accepted in cash, cheque, card and per digital transfer. Patricia is available for talks about jewellery, body adornment, studio glass and related topics. The studio hosts a regular open day on the last Saturday in November.
The studio is open all year for walk-ins, ideally by appointment, and is located at the very bottom of the Berriedale Braes in a historic building setting amongst trees, flanked by two rivers on the dramatic Caithness coast. Turn off following the sign for the studio and the public payphone and keep to the left. There is ample car parking.
Please see our video on Vimeo here
Customers include tourists, private clients and collectors as well as commercial customers requiring bespoke services (e.g. theatre, charities, corporate):
- Certified goldsmith with over 25 years trade experience (German trained)
- Work undertaken in 18ct gold, platinum, palladium and silver
- Bespoke, contemporary design service with precise drawings
- Registered for hallmarking with the Edinburgh Assay Office
- Gemstones and pearls a speciality
- Manufacture of one-off jewellery, refashioning of old jewellery, gemstone setting, some jewellery repair
- One-off blown and sculpted studio glass objects
- Wearable knitted and felted textiles
- Life drawing