Walking, Whisky and Wildlife
Slow travel at its best - this hiking tour hits some of the iconic Scottish highlights. You'll explore the world of whisky, experience the Scottish countryside at a leisurely pace and discover reclusive, unique wildlife around you.
A hiking journey through the whisky and wildlife highlights of North East Scotland.
Day of arrival: arrive at Aviemore station or Inverness airport in the afternoon where you will be met by your guide and host for the week, Andy Bateman. After a short transfer to your accommodation for the duration of the tour, you'll be free to explore before dinner. We'll all eat together over a meal of local and home-grown produce.
- Hike through the Cromdale hills along routes which smugglers must once have followed before taking a tour of the distillery and finally a tasting of one of their famous “expressions”.
- Visit the Cooperage where the barrels which flavour the whisky are made, then take a hike up the magnificent viewpoint of Ben Rinnes, which overlooks most of Speyside. We’ll also stop in at the Craigellachie Hotel to experience their amazing whisky bar.
- Explore the Ladder hills before stopping in at the Whisky Castle in Tomintoul, arguably the best independent whisky shop in the Highlands.
- hike through the vast mountain moorland area of the Monadhliath where we'll try to spot red deer and mountain hare. After one of Rebecca’s delicious home cooked meals and as dusk beckons we head to a local wildlife hide to see reclusive pine martens and Highland badgers.
- ome to over 4500 different species, the forest of the RSPB Abernethy Reserve feels as if little has changed in the last 10,000 years. On the way back we pop into the RSPB Osprey Centre for the latest comings and goings of the Loch Garten Ospreys. In the evening we’re off to Anderson’s, our fantastic local restaurant a few doors down the road.
- From 2000ft (600m) up we ascend a further 500m amongst dramatic mountain and cliff scenery to the Cairngorm Plateau. After an early dinner it’s off to a local hide to watch Otters and Ospreys fishing.
At the end of the trip we'll drop you back at Aviemore station or Inverness airport. We'll be sad to see you go but hope that the memories you have will last you a lifetime.
From £965 per adult
April — October
Boat of Garten
- Aviemore and the Cairngorms
- Small Group (1-16)
- Food and drink
Tour company information
Scot Mountain Holidays
We provide active adventure tours in the Highlands of Scotland, based from a family-run house. The hiking and mountain biking routes we follow offer all our guests the chance to explore nature's playground; escape city life and enjoy a sense of belonging in out magnificent landscape.
Other tours from this company
Explore the Cairngorms on Foot
Departs: Aviemore and the Cairngorms
Take a day out of your tour round the Highlands to explore deep into the Cairngo...
Big Mountain Weekend
Take the opportunity to refresh and rejuvenate on a mountain walking weekend sta...
Isle of Skye and the Cairngorms National Park
Enjoy hiking on the Isle of Skye and in the Cairngorms National Park. See Loch N...
A hiking expedition taking in all the 4000ft peaks of the Cairngorms. This is a...
The content of many of our web listings is provided by third party operators and not VisitScotland. VisitScotland accepts no responsibility for (1) any error or misrepresentation contained in third party listings, and (2) the contents of any external links within web listings ((1) and (2) together hereinafter referred to as the "Content"). VisitScotland excludes all liability for loss or damage caused by any reliance placed on the Content. The Content is provided for your information only and is not endorsed by VisitScotland.