Ayton is a small town located 6 miles north west of Berwick-upon-Tweed in the Borders.
The pretty conservation town of Ayton has had a long turbulent past. There is evidence of ancient human activity in the surrounding area including ring marks, stone circles, burial cairns and hill forts. The Romans are also known to have made incursions into the area.
Ayton Castle was originally a medieval tower house. The present castle dates largely from the 19th century and was designed by James Gillespie Graham and has been fully restored.
The nearby Ayton Old Church has been the scene of negotiations between King James IV and Henry VII of England. On 30 September 1497 they signed the treaty of Ayton whuch paved the way for a seven year truce.
The content of many of our web listings is provided by third party operators and not VisitScotland. VisitScotland accepts no responsibility for (1) any error or misrepresentation contained in third party listings, and (2) the contents of any external links within web listings ((1) and (2) together hereinafter referred to as the "Content"). VisitScotland excludes all liability for loss or damage caused by any reliance placed on the Content. The Content is provided for your information only and is not endorsed by VisitScotland.