The tiny harbour village of Crinan lies on the west coast of Scotland in the regional of Argyll known as Knapdale.
The popular Crinan Canal, a true unexpected delight, enters the Sound of Jura here and the town looks out across Loch Crinan to Duntrune Castle.
Planning for the canal to be built first began in 1773 by James Watt, the inventor of the turbine engine. The canal was built to provide safe passage for travelling goods and a short cut saving sailors the long trip round the Mull of Kintyre. After the Highland clearances, the canal provided work for the unemployed. In 1822 the canal was finally opened after 12 years of construction and a spend of £910,000. News of the canal began to spread, including high profile figures in British society such as Queen Victoria who took a trip up the canal in 1873.
There is a magical network of paths, lock gates, towpaths and shoreline to wonder around including the famous Crinan walk taking visitors to the heart of Knapdale forest before reaching a high point at Castle Dounie as well as buzz of activities which mainly these days revolves around yachts and crafts.