Gatehouse of Fleet is a village situated near the mouth of the Water of Fleet, ten miles west of Kirkcudbright.
In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, Gatehouse of Fleet was a thriving industrial centre with cotton mills, shipbuilding, a brewery and its own port. It was known locally as the 'Glasgow of the South'.
Traces of this industrial past can still be found in its buildings and street names and in the Mill on the Fleet, a former textile mill which is now an award-winning visitors' centre tracing the economic and social history of Gatehouse.
Gatehouse provides opportunities for a variety of sporting activities, including golf, walking, cycling, fishing and sailing. Port Macadam, once the town's harbour, is still used by small pleasure craft.
Among the local historical attractions are Cardoness Castle, a late 15th-century fortified tower house that was the ancient seat of the McCullochs, and the ruins of Anwoth Church with its atmospheric graveyard, complete with Covenanter graves.
On a visit to Gatehouse in 1793, Robert Burns penned the first draft of his famous poem, Scots Wha Hae, at the Murray Arms.
There are several shops and a grocery store in the village, and a variety of places to eat out.