Port William is an 18th century fishing village on the eastern shore of Luce Bay.
Port William is an example of a planned village and was founded by Sir William Maxwell of Monreith in 1770. The harbour was one of the first to be built in western Galloway. In the 17th and 18th centuries, smuggling was rife in the Port William area.
Around Port William there are beaches, diverse wildlife and some great walking and cycling opportunities, as well as golf. There are many places to eat in town, and grocery shops as well as a Post Office, a petrol station and various family run shops, offering a variety of wares. There are playparks for the children and a bowling green and tennis courts too.