St Andrews iCentre
Find our iCentre at 70 Market Street where a warm welcome awaits!
The town of St Andrews was named after Saint Andrew the Apostle.
There has been an important church in St Andrews since at least AD 747 and the burgh became the ecclesiastical capital of Scotland until the Scottish Reformation. The famous cathedral, which dates back to the 12th century, now lies in ruins but was once the largest building in Europe when the castle was home to the bishops while serving in St Andrews. It also features a ruined bottle dungeon, previously used to house prisoners.
St Andrews is home to the oldest university in Scotland dating back to 1413 and is the third oldest in the English speaking world. It is an integral part of the town and during term time students make up approximately one third of the town’s population.
Golf began around 1350 in St Andrews and is known globally as the ‘The Home of Golf’ partially due to the founding of The Royal and Ancient Golf Club in 1754. The famous Old Course is the most frequent venue for The Open Championship, the oldest of golf's four major championships.
The town also offers numerous museums, a botanic garden and an aquarium.
Transport and Parking
Wheelchair access throughout
Suitable for visitors with limited mobility
Bekroningen en programma's
De inhoud van veel van onze webvermeldingen wordt geleverd door externe operators en niet door VisitScotland. VisitScotland aanvaardt geen verantwoordelijkheid voor (1) enige fout of verkeerde voorstelling van zaken in vermeldingen van derden, en (2) de inhoud van externe links binnen webvermeldingen ((1) en (2) samen hierna aangeduid als de "Inhoud") . VisitScotland sluit alle aansprakelijkheid uit voor verlies of schade veroorzaakt door enig vertrouwen op de Inhoud. De inhoud wordt uitsluitend ter informatie verstrekt en wordt niet onderschreven door VisitScotland.