Looking for a hearty dose of festive cheer this year? Then why not head to Dunfermline in the Kingdom of Fife? This former ancient capital of Scotland has a whole range of special winter wonders to really make you feel rather jolly indeed.
- Dunfermline's Winter Festival officially begins when the Christmas lights are switched on in the High Street in late November.
- Celebrate and join in with festivities on the day with quality live entertainment and fun-filled family events, including a Christmas parade, live bands, storytelling, arts and crafts and even a spot of magic.
- When night falls, witness some of the town's stunning historical buildings lit up with magnificent floodlighting, including the beautiful Dunfermline Abbey and Palace and the grand Carnegie Library.
Festive fare and stocking fillers
- Pick up treats at the Dunfermline farmers' market. You are bound to find a few tasty bits and pieces to complete your Christmas meal.
- Just a short drive outside the town, Blairadam Forest will be lit up by its very own Christmas Fair. Browse crafts and gifts, try local venison, choose a Christmas tree to take home and more.
The Alhambra Theatre puts on a great range of entertainment in the lead up to Christmas and the New Year, ranging from side-splittingly funny pantomimes, breathtakingly beautiful ballets performed by international companies, and other fun events, such as family film sing-a-longs.