What was the world like before selfies? Like them or loathe them, they are a big part of pop culture at the minute and you can be bang on trend for the next week. Forget celebrities at the Oscars. A selfie with The Ryder Cup trophy is the Holy Grail for golfers.
It’s a little more than three weeks until The 2014 Ryder Cup tees off at Gleneagles. And to whip Scotland into Ryder Cup fever, the much-sought after trophy will be travelling to the four corners of Scotland on a week-long, country-wide tour, before Team USA battles to take it back from current victors, Team Europe.
Only a prestigious few have been this close to the trophy, mostly the winning golfers over the last 80 years, so why not join this select group and take a selfie with this piece of sporting history for posterity?
Starting today at the OMNI Centre in Edinburgh, the trophy will travel by helicopter to courses around Scotland participating in the ClubGolf programme – a youth project creating opportunities access to the sport for young people – taking in the Scottish Borders, Dumfries & Galloway, Argyll & The Isles, Shetland and Aberdeenshire.
The Ryder Cup Trophy will visit the following locations:
- 7 September: Roxburghe Golf Club, Scottish Borders, the location of the first legacy events for The 2014 Ryder Cup, the Scottish Seniors Open in 2003, 10am to 12pm
- 7 September: St Medan Golf Club, Dumfries & Galloway, the most southerly ClubGolf participant, 12.40pm to 4pm
- 8 September: Machrihanish Dunes, Argyll, 9.30am to 11:30am
- 8 September: Isle of Harris Golf Club, first ClubGolf programme in the Outer Hebrides, 1pm to 4pm
- 9 September: Whalsay Golf Club, Shetland, most northerly and easterly ClubGolf programme in Scotland, 10am to 11.30pm
- 9 September: Braemar Golf Club, Aberdeenshire, the highest golf club in the UK, 1.30pm to 4pm
- 10 September: Gleneagles Hotel, host of The 2014 Ryder Cup
You might also like:
Latest posts by David Walsh (see all)
- Get up close to The Ryder Cup trophy on tour – and maybe take a selfie - September 4, 2014
- Vote for your favourite Brilliant Moment from Ryder Cup history - August 11, 2014
- Ryder Cup fans – your ultimate Scotland bucket list - August 8, 2014