As November approaches, children and adults alike get those words marching round and round:
Remember, remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot
For those who are unfamiliar with this, well, rather unique British custom, it stems back to 1605 when Guy Fawkes (the guy who inspired V from V for Vendetta), failed in his and other Catholic sympathizers’ attempt to blow up both King James I and the Parliament. So the annual bonfire night celebrates Guy Fawkes’ arrest by burning effigies of him, and serves as a reminder that treason would never be forgiven or forgotten. Nice excuse to have a firecracker of a party, isn’t it?
But enough of the history and on to the exciting part.
If you’re in Scotland this weekend, here is a quick guide to some of the most SPARK-TACULAR (see what I did here?) fireworks displays going on. There are also plenty of great local celebrations so please check out your local community’s website for more information.
Tuesday, 5th Nov
Meadowbank Annual Fireworks Display in Edinburgh, 6.30pm
Dunfermline Fireworks Display in Pittencrieff Park, 6pm
Perth’s Bonfire and Firework Display, 6.30pm
Baxter Park and Lochee Park Fireworks Displays in Dundee, both at 6pm
Glasgow Green Fireworks Display, 7.30pm
Aberdeen’s Winter Festival Fireworks Night at Aberdeen Beach, 7pm
Inverness Bonfire Night at Bught Park, 7pm
While you ohh and ahh watching the amazing spectacle, remember not to underestimate their destructive power and read the Bonfire night safety guide.
Happy Bonfire Night!
Some random facts
* Did you know that the tremendous boom heard at the end is caused by the air expanding faster than the speed of sound?
* The impressive colours of the fireworks depend on a signature chemicals mix, mainly metal salts and metal oxides, which react to produce an array of colors.
You might also like:
Latest posts by Aldona Krzemien (see all)
- Dan Winch on What We Did On Our Holiday - September 15, 2014
- EXCLUSIVE: A series of interview videos with Outlander’s author - September 5, 2014
- Queen’s Baton Relay: 18 – 19 July - July 16, 2014