Musselburgh is a historic town in East Lothian, well known for golf, and its racecourse.
The interesting old market town of Musselburgh lies six miles east of Edinburgh, where the River Esk meets the sea. The 'Honest Town' developed from the 12th century as a rival to the capital nearby, with trade helped by having a port, which today is still lightly used for fishing and pleasure boating.
Musselburgh Links hosts an ancient golf course - reputed to be the oldest in Scotland - apparently used by James IV, in 1504, and home of the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers from 1836 to 1891. Sharing the links is Musselburgh Racecourse, which holds regular meetings.