1 day winter skills course
The best winter skills course in Scotland, based in the Cairngorms near Aviemore, is a comprehensive and hands-on program that covers all the essential skills needed for winter mountaineering.
The best winter skills course in Scotland, based in the Cairngorms, is an immersive and comprehensive program that covers a range of essential mountaineering skills. Participants will begin by learning about the winter environment, including snowpack and avalanche awareness. They will then progress to practical skills, such as navigation, ice axe and crampon use, and emergency procedures.
The course will take place in a variety of terrain and conditions, allowing participants to practice their skills in real-life situations. In addition to mountaineering skills, participants will also learn about the natural and cultural history of the Cairngorms. The course will be led by highly experienced and qualified instructors who are intimately familiar with the area and its unique challenges.
We pride ourselves on providing as much kit as possible for you. However, the list below is what we recommend you should bring to your 1 day winter skills course:
- Travel insurance. (We are insured for all our trips, but we recommend everyone has their own travel insurance as well.)
- Transportation to the venue. (We may be able to help with this though – if you need transportation please drop us an enquiry and we can see what we can do to help.)
- Lunch, water.
- Personal medication
- Sun cream, sunglasses
- Clear goggles – we may be able to provide if required please contact us.
- B2 boots (we may be able to arrange hire of these if needed; please contact us if this is the case. But people normally prefer to use their own)
- Rucksack 30 litres or so will suffice
- Compass and ideally a 1:50k map of Cairngorm Mountain
Here at Highland Outdoor Adventures, we pride ourselves on providing as much as we can but you are welcome to bring your own equipment if you do prefer. The list below is what we provide you with on the day.
- All instruction.
- Ice Axes
- All first aid and safety equipment.
- Photographs of the day provided for you at no extra cost! If the weather is good we will have a DSLR professional camera and maybe even a drone, so we can take photos and videos of your adventure and you can look back at the day for years to come. If the weather is less favourable we will bring a GoPro (as it is waterproof) so we will still be able to take photos for you.
From £80 per adult
November — March
- Aviemore and the Cairngorms
- Small Group (1-16)
- Outdoor Activities
Tour company information
Highland Outdoor Adventures
Looking for a fun and exciting adventure outdoor activity in the Highlands which will be a highlight of your holiday in Scotland? Or maybe you live here and want an outing on the rivers, lochs, sea, mountains or crags? Or perhaps you want to improve your skills, work to an assessment or take a qualification in paddling or climbing? Welcome to Highland Outdoor Adventures offering a range of climbing, walking and paddling options for individuals, groups and the whole family – including outings and courses for all levels (beginners through to experts).
Other tours from this company
Spey Descent Paddleboarding (SUP) 5 Day Expedition
Experience the thrill of a lifetime on a 5 day camping River Spey Sup Descent Ad...
Arisiag 2 day SUP Expedition
Experience the stunning beauty of Scotland’s west coast on a two-day Arisaig SUP...
River Tay Sup 5 Day Descent
The Loch & River Tay 5 day SUP descent journeys from the central highlands of Ki...
SUP across Scotland 5 days
Departs: Fort William
This 5 day SUP across Scotland Trip paddle boards the waters of the Great Glen W...
The content of many of our web listings is provided by third party operators and not VisitScotland. VisitScotland accepts no responsibility for (1) any error or misrepresentation contained in third party listings, and (2) the contents of any external links within web listings ((1) and (2) together hereinafter referred to as the "Content"). VisitScotland excludes all liability for loss or damage caused by any reliance placed on the Content. The Content is provided for your information only and is not endorsed by VisitScotland.