Improve your English whilst visiting some of Scotland’s beautiful historic houses, castles, palaces and gardens. Learn about Scotland’s history from bloody rebellions to the Scottish Enlightenment.
You will be based in Edinburgh and spend three days in and around the city and three one-day trips to the surrounding regions. Activities and visits may include:
- A photographic walking tour with a professional photographer who will show you how to take some great shots with your phone or camera whilst introducing you to some of the closes and interesting buildings in the Old Town of Edinburgh. A private guided tour with our partner guides from Iconic Photos.
- A day exploring the Scottish Borders region to the south of Edinburgh. Rolling hills and pretty villages make this a very scenic part of the country. Many visitors to Scotland head straight up to the Highlands and miss out this beautiful region, we think this is a pity and would like to share it with you. There are plenty of places to visit, including abbeys, houses, woollen mills and historic printing presses to name but a few.
- A day exploring East Lothian or The Kingdom of Fife (weather dependent). These regions to the east and north of Edinburgh are also often missed by travellers on their way further north. Both regions offer dramatic castles, beautiful scenery, refreshing costal walks and interesting history.
- A visit to a less well known castle and gardens in Edinburgh. Edinburgh Castle is the most famous and visited tourist attraction in the city but there are several other hidden gems which are off the main tourist route.
- A guided walking tour of Edinburgh's Georgian era New Town and part of the historic Old Town, visiting two very different historic houses within the city and noticing the difference in style and grandeur throughout the ages.
- Traditional afternoon tea and cakes whilst improving your English speaking and listening skills and learning more about Scotland's history and culture.
- A day in Perthshire, north of Edinburgh. This region is the geographical centre of Scotland and has played an important part in the turbulent history of our nation. The countless beautiful forests, scenic lochs and glens, castles with splendid gardens and villages with plenty of character all have interesting and sometimes bloody history attached to them. Depending on the time of year and interests of the the group, there is also the option to stop at a whisky distillery or visit the Enchanted Forest light display.
- English language tuition sessions will take place at our partner school ECS Scotland in Edinburgh and on location in the places we visit. You will be constantly listening to and speaking English. Correction, pronunciation and vocabulary enhancement will be taking place continuously throughout the week, don't forget your notebook!
- The exact locations on each tour are seasonal and weather dependent. Don't worry, there are so many castles, palaces, houses and beautiful gardens, there is always somewhere fascinating to visit. We will take you to the most interesting and beautiful locations available during your week in Scotland.
- Free time for you to explore Edinburgh on your own, have a lie in, do some shopping or optional activities.
- To get the most out of this touring course the recommended level of English is B1 or higher.
Touring courses start on Sunday afternoons and finish on Friday afternoons.
The price includes English language tuition, learning materials, guided tours with professional guides, entrance fees and afternoon teas.
The dates of our 2020 touring courses are:
- 21 - 26 June
- 6 - 11 September
Visit our website to find out more or to book.