The village of Innerwick lies four miles south-east of Dunbar on the North Sea coast of East Lothian.
Every Scottish parish reflects some aspect of the country's historical and social development, and Innerwick, does this admirably. To the south of Dunbar, the parish rises from the coast on the North Sea and rich agricultural land, to the sheep and grouse moors of the Lammermuir Hills. East coast lines of communication by road and rail from Edinburgh to London straddle the parish, though 'the great road' has now been downgraded to the plain A1.
A couple of miles inland and well hidden from the roadside stand the ruins of Innerwick castle. Perched on a sandstone outcrop, it overlooks Thornton Glen managed by the Scottish Wildlife Trust. Built by the Stewart family, the castle held a strategic position against repeated English invasion until 1548, when it was captured and destroyed by the Duke of Somerset.