The village largely developed servicing the growing needs of steamboat activity and business in the 19th century. Today it is a popular place to stop while visiting the local beauty spots, such as the Falls of Falloch or walking The West Highland Way.
There are also a number of heritage sites near the village including a double stone circle and an ancient boundary stone, Clach nam Breatann or ‘Stone of the Britons’. This stone marked the junction between the three ancient kingdoms: Pictland, to the east, Strathclyde, to the south and Dal Riata, to the north west.
The Drovers Inn was established in 1705 and is well known as a haunted location and has been visited by many paranormal enthusiasts.