Newport-on-Tay is a small town on the south side of the Firth of Tay, just a 5 minute drive from Dundee city centre.
Located just slightly west of the Tay road and rail bridges that cross the river to Dundee, the town initially grew as wealthy jute barons of 19th century Dundee sought quieter, cleaner surroundings in which to live. They commuted across the old Tay railway bridge, which tragically collapsed one stormy December night in 1879.
Newport-on-Tay was a highly desirable suburb of Dundee after the first Tay Rail Bridge was built in 1878 and the public buildings such as the old ferry terminus and the grand Victorian villas on the hillside reflect these times.
The content of many of our web listings is provided by third party operators and not VisitScotland. VisitScotland accepts no responsibility for (1) any error or misrepresentation contained in third party listings, and (2) the contents of any external links within web listings ((1) and (2) together hereinafter referred to as the "Content"). VisitScotland excludes all liability for loss or damage caused by any reliance placed on the Content. The Content is provided for your information only and is not endorsed by VisitScotland.