Thornhill is a village between Dumfries and Sanquhar and its focal point is the Mercat Cross.
The origins of Thornhill may date as far back as the Romans but the village in its present form was planned in 1714 and designed to be a staging post on the recently developed road between Dumfries and Glasgow. A number of the village’s 18th century coaching inns are still in business.
Thornhill is typified by its broad streets and prosperous Victorian villas, while the Mercat Cross in the centre of the village is topped with a winged horse, the emblem of the Dukes of Queensberry.
Just 16 miles from Dumfries, along the A76, Thornhill is the perfect base for walking. Four miles to the north of the village is Drumlanrig Castle, one of Scotland’s grandest renaissance buildings and open to the public, while remaining home to the current Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry. The village has a good selection of shopping and great places to eat.