One of the most ancient towns in East Lothian, Tranent lies 10 miles east of Edinburgh and 7 miles from Haddington.
There is a long history of settlement here, however when it was first founded and populated in unknown. Once an important mining town, coal was first worked in Tranent in the 12th century.
There are a number of interesting historic buildings in and around the town including the old parish church, parts of which are 15th century while a few miles southwest of the town stands Fa'side Castle, sometimes known as Falside or Fawside, a 14th-century L-shaped tower house.
Over 200 years ago, Tranent was the site for what historians late dubbed "Scotland's Forgotten Massacre". Twelve unnamed people were slain by regular cavalry unit following the Tranent Militia Riot of 1797. The massacre was the subject of a cover-up at the highest levels, with none of the perpetrators brought to justice. A memorial statue to those killed now stands in the town's Civic Square as a permanent reminder of the atrocity.