Unmissable things to do in and around Aviemore
There are plenty of things to do in Aviemore, from skiing, canoeing or wildlife watching to shopping, dining or ceilidh dancing! The mountains and the Cairngorms National Park that surround Aviemore offer a vast playground for a range of outdoor activities and attractions, from sailing on Loch Morlich to exploring the area on horseback. What will you choose to do?
Discover a traditional highland welcome and a land of stories amongst the hidden places of Badenoch. Here you will find everything from ancient fortresses, wildlife and distilleries to some of the UK best attractions and museums.
- Step back in time to the 1700s at the Highland Folk Museum in Newtonmore
- See Scottish wildlife and endangered animals at the Highland Widlife Park in Kingussie
- Take the train to Dalwhinnie and enjoy a tour and tasting at the Dalwhinnie distillery, the highest distillery in Scotland at 1164 feet above sea level
- Reconnect with nature on a walk around the impressive Ruthven Barracks
- Get mountain biking on the purpose-built trails through Laggan Forest at LagganWolftrack
Loch Morlich enjoys one of the finest settings of any loch in the country. It is surrounded by forests and fringed by beaches, with the stunning backdrop of the often snow-clad peaks of the northern Cairngorms.
This is the ideal location for outdoor activities such as sailing, windsurfing, stand up paddleboarding (SUP), kayaking, canoeing and mountain biking. You can either rent equipment or take lessons with a knowledgeable instructor.Key facilities
- On Public Transport Route
- Pets Welcome
- Cafe or Restaurant
There are plenty of family adventures awaiting in and around Aviemore.
- Visit the Landmark Forest Adventure Park in Carrbridge with attractions including the dinsosaur kingdom, butterfly house and wild water coaster
- For a magical experience, step back in time and catch the steam train on the Strathspey Railway to Boat of Garten
Beautiful and wild, the area near Nethybridge contains ancient Caledonian pineforest, moorland, wetland, mountain and Loch Garten Osprey Centre. Get up close to some of Scotland's most amazing wildlife at the centre and nature reserve, only a 20 minute drive from Aviemore.Key facilities
- Accessible Parking Or Drop-off Point
- Level Access
- Accessible toilets
Cairngorm Mountain not only offers phenomenal panoramic views at over 2000 feet, but it also has a cafe and mountain shop. There are snowsports in the winter and free family activities in the summer, as well as the chance to join the ranger every Thursday for a guided walk.
Relax and experience stunning scenery, exceptional wildlife and a long and rich history with a choice of outdoor activities in Rothiemurchus.
Try a range of activities for everyone, including inspirational easy walks, fishing, ranger-led tours, wildlife photography and watching, pony and quad bike treks, clay shooting, treetop adventures, biking, archery and segways.
The Cairngorms is one of the best places in the UK to see wildlife and is home to 25% of Britain's threatened species. Red squirrel, deer, mountain hare, capercaillie, snow bunting, pine marten, golden eagle and wildcat are just some of the spectacular wildlife that you can see on a guided Wildlife & Birdwach Safari.
Other things you might like
Join our Newsletter Clan
Get Scotland inspiration direct to your inbox. Don't miss the inside track from our Scotland experts on exciting trip ideas, unique attractions and hidden gems loved by locals.