Although the usual festivities are on hold for 2020, there's no stopping you from getting into the seasonal spirit in the city of Aberdeen. Discover the city's Christmas market or plan ahead your upcoming festive break in 2021 as we give you the lowdown on exciting events and things to look forward to.
Shop for the perfect Christmas gift or some January bargains
- Hit the city's excellent shopping centres such as Union Square, the Trinity Centre, the Bon Accord & St Nicholas Centre and the Academy. This Christmas, why not treat yourself or a loved one to the Aberdeen Gift Card, a great way to experience the city in all of its glory, from dining out to shopping for all the latest gadgets and fashion trends, Aberdeen has something for everyone.
- This year Aberdeen Inspired have teamed up with Bon Accord and Charlie House to spread some festive cheer across the city. Shop local this Christmas as local makers and businesses come together to set up shop as part of the Aberdeen Christmas Market. Browse through a range of unique crafts and products, ideal for Christmas gifts or stocking fillers.
- Alongside the major high street retailers, you'll find plenty of unique boutiques and independent shops in the city's elegant West End district and lively Merchant Quarter. Enjoy a drink or meal in one of the quarter's bars and restaurants.
What to look forward to in 2021
- See brightly coloured lights shoot and crackle across an inky black sky, all to a sweeping musical score, at Aberdeen's Fireworks Night.
- Join the Lord Provost and a special guest at the Christmas Tree Switch On and see a beautiful spruce, gifted to the city by its twin town of Stavanger in Norway, sparkle with twinkling lights.
- Savour a magical winter wonderland at the Christmas Village, which includes an open-air ice rink with the beautiful backdrop of Marischal College, a selection of local craft stalls to pick up that special Christmas gift, attractions to keep all the family entertained and of course festive food and drink.
- Follow a parade of bands, festive characters and floats down Union Street and cheer as one by one the lights are turned on at the Christmas Lights Switch On Parade.
- Help welcome Father Christmas to Aberdeen at the city's eagerly anticipated Santa and Reindeer Parade.
- Sing along to carols accompanied by music from the talented Bon Accord Silver Band at the Christmas Carol Concert held in the David Welch Winter Gardens.
- Get into the festive spirit with a pantomime at the Aberdeen Arts Centre or His Majesty's Theatre.
- Enjoy some spellbinding musical performances at the Music Hall.
- Join the city in celebrating the beginning of the new year with a spectacular fireworks display fired from the rooftop of His Majesty's Theatre. Dance the night away at the Hogmanay Ceilidh held in the Beach Ballroom or enjoy a superb blend of traditional Scottish music and song at the Aberdeen Music Hall's ever popular Hogmanay Concert.