Get into the seasonal spirit with a Christmas or New Year visit to the vibrant city of Aberdeen. Discover the city's annual Winter Festival and celebrate bonfire night, St Andrews Day, Christmas and Hogmanay with a packed programme of exciting events, plus entertainment, fantastic shopping, nightlife and much more.
What can I expect at Aberdeen's winter events?
- See brightly coloured lights shoot and crackle across an inky black sky, all to a sweeping musical score, at Aberdeen's Fireworks Night.
- Join the Lord Provost and a special guest at the Christmas Tree Switch On and see a beautiful spruce, gifted to the city by its twin town of Stavanger in Norway, sparkle with twinkling lights.
- Tumble into a magical winter wonderland at the Christmas Village.
- Follow a parade of bands, festive characters and floats down Union Street and cheer as one by one the lights are turned on at the Christmas Lights Switch On Parade.
- Help welcome Father Christmas to Aberdeen at the city's eagerly anticipated Santa and Reindeer Parade.
- Sing along to carols accompanied by music from the talented Bon Accord Silver Band at a Christmas Carol Concert held in the David Welch Winter Gardens.
- Get into the festive spirit with a pantomime at the Aberdeen Arts Centre or His Majesty's Theatre.
- Enjoy some spellbinding musical performances at the Music Hall.
Shop for the perfect Christmas gift or some January bargains
- Take advantage of special weekend festival rates and extended opening hours and hit the city's excellent shopping centres such as Union Square, the Trinity Centre, the Bon Accord & St Nicholas Centre and the Academy.
- Alongside the major high street retailers, you'll find plenty of unique boutiques and independent shops in the city's elegant West End district and lively Merchant Quarter. Enjoy a drink or meal in one of the quarter's plentiful bars and restaurants before soaking up the festive atmosphere inside its clubs and live music venues.0
Bring in the New Year in style!
Join the city in celebrating the beginning of the new year with a spectacular fireworks display fired from the rooftop of His Majesty's Theatre. Dance the night away at the Hogmanay Ceilidh held in the Beach Ballroom or enjoy a superb blend of traditional Scottish music and song at the Aberdeen Music Hall's ever popular Hogmanay Concert.