Advanced white water SUP
An advanced white water SUP course in grade 3 white water in the Highlands of Scotland is a challenging and exhilarating experience for experienced stand up paddleboarders.
A one-day advanced white water SUP course in Scotland (probably using the Findhorn River) is an intensive and immersive experience that is designed to help experienced paddlers improve their skills and tackle some of the most challenging suppable rapids in Scotland. Here is an example itinerary for the one-day course. This can be tailored entirely to your needs and may also be altered according to the river levels on the day.
10:00 am – Meet and Greet – Participants meet at the designated meeting point and are introduced to their instructors and fellow paddlers. After a safety briefing and equipment check, the group will spend some time reviewing their current knowledge of the foundational skills and techniques. We will also need to organise a shuttle so that we have vehicles at the bottom with whatever people need for when they get off the river.
On-Water Instruction and Skills Practice – Participants will get on the river, warm dip and begin to practise and refine their skills under the guidance of expert instructors. This may include practising eddy turns, ferrying, and boofing techniques (yes this is also a thing on a sup), as well as working on reading the water and navigating complex rapids.
Lunch Break – Participants take a break for lunch and have the opportunity to connect with their instructors and fellow paddlers. This is a great chance to ask questions, share experiences, and get to know each other as well as reflect on the current learning of the day and where they wish to progress in the afternoon.
River Running skills – Participants will put their skills to the test with a series of challenges on the rapids. Instructors will provide guidance and support, and will help participants to navigate the rapids safely and confidently while starting to make more challenging lines including hitting smaller eddies, tighter channels and more challenging ferry glides & surfs.
3:00 pm – Debrief and Wrap-Up – After a full day of intense paddling, participants will gather for a debrief and wrap-up session. This is a chance to reflect on the day’s experiences, share feedback, and celebrate achievements.
Departure – Participants say goodbye to their instructors and fellow paddlers, and head home with new skills, knowledge, and experiences.
Overall, a one-day advanced white water SUP course on the Findhorn River is a challenging and rewarding experience for experienced paddlers who want to take their skills to the next level in one of the most beautiful and challenging locations in Scotland. With expert instruction, immersive river runs, and plenty of opportunities to connect with fellow paddlers, this course is a great way to push your limits, experience and develop new skills in the thrilling adventure sport of white water stand up paddleboarding.
We pride ourselves on providing as much kit as possible for you. However, the list below is what we recommend you should bring:
- Something to go underneath a wetsuit – swimwear or a spare pair of underwear. (We do provide swimshorts to wear over the top of the wetsuit for greater style and modesty.)
- Travel insurance. (We are insured for all our trips, but we recommend everyone has their own travel insurance as well.)
- Transportation to the venue for the white water SUP course. (We may be able to help with this though – if you need transportation please drop us an enquiry and we can see what we can do to help.)
- Lunch, water.
- Personal medication
- Sun cream, midge net
- For our Advanced Courses we recommend that people should normally try up with their own equipment but we are also able to provide it at no extra charge should people prefer. It is the norm for people operating at this level of paddling to have their own kit at this stage.
Here at Highland Outdoor Adventures, we pride ourselves on providing as much as we can but you are welcome to bring your own equipment if you do prefer. The list below is what we provide you with on the day.
- Hala SUP’s -The world’s best white water stand up Paddleboards – perfect for this advanced course.
- Buoyancy aids.
- SUP leashes on a quick release belt.
- Neoprene wetsuit boots.
- Swimshorts to go over the top of wetsuits.
- Dry bags so you can bring equipment you might want along with you.
- All instruction.
- All first aid and safety equipment.
- Photographs of the day provided for you at no extra cost! If the weather is good we will have a DSLR professional camera and maybe even a drone, so we can take photos and videos of your adventure and you can look back at the day for years to come. If the weather is less favourable we will bring a GoPro (as it is waterproof) so we will still be able to take photos for you.
- Fully certified instructors who are the best in the country on a SUP
- Changing robes or a pop up tent for those who wish or require more privacy changing into a wetsuit.
From £125 per adult
January — December
- Small Group (1-16)
- Outdoor Activities
Tour company information
Highland Outdoor Adventures
Looking for a fun and exciting adventure outdoor activity in the Highlands which will be a highlight of your holiday in Scotland? Or maybe you live here and want an outing on the rivers, lochs, sea, mountains or crags? Or perhaps you want to improve your skills, work to an assessment or take a qualification in paddling or climbing? Welcome to Highland Outdoor Adventures offering a range of climbing, walking and paddling options for individuals, groups and the whole family – including outings and courses for all levels (beginners through to experts).
Other tours from this company
Spey Descent Paddleboarding (SUP) 5 Day Expedition
Experience the thrill of a lifetime on a 5 day camping River Spey Sup Descent Ad...
Arisiag 2 day SUP Expedition
Experience the stunning beauty of Scotland’s west coast on a two-day Arisaig SUP...
River Tay Sup 5 Day Descent
The Loch & River Tay 5 day SUP descent journeys from the central highlands of Ki...
SUP across Scotland 5 days
Departs: Fort William
This 5 day SUP across Scotland Trip paddle boards the waters of the Great Glen W...
The content of many of our web listings is provided by third party operators and not VisitScotland. VisitScotland accepts no responsibility for (1) any error or misrepresentation contained in third party listings, and (2) the contents of any external links within web listings ((1) and (2) together hereinafter referred to as the "Content"). VisitScotland excludes all liability for loss or damage caused by any reliance placed on the Content. The Content is provided for your information only and is not endorsed by VisitScotland.