SUP across Scotland 5 days
This 5 day SUP across Scotland Trip paddle boards the waters of the Great Glen Way. All the way from Fort William through Fort Augustus to Inverness itself. The Great Glen Way literally cuts Scotland in half effectively creating an island off the nor
Here follows a brief itinerary of the 5 day SUP across Scotland Trip – depending on the wind direction this can change to be North to South instead of South to North.
Day 1 – We will meet in Fort William at Neptunes Staircase at 10:00 where we will ensure everyone has everything they need to undertake the trip. If you need to pick up last minute food supplies there are shops in town where you can do so. We will then paddle up the Caledonian Canal to the Loch Gates at Loch Lochy where if there is space we will camp up and if not we will continue a short distance on to make camp along the shoreline of the Loch.
Day2 – Waking up to stunning views of Ben Nevis, we will don the wetsuits again and head out onto Loch Lochy (the Scots sure are good with their naming of places). Here we will head down (hopefully with the wind behind us) to make camp at the far end of the Loch at Laggan Loch Gates. Here there is the world famous Eagle Barge Inn which hosts the hottest chilly in the world (we don’t recommend you try this but you can disagree with us if you wish!).
Day3 – Day 3 Sees us paddle from here onto Loch Oich passing the river Garry and level depending we can paddle the Oich (grade 2) down to Fort Augustus. If the levels are too low, then we will paddle along the Caledonian Canal before finishing in Fort Augustus and camping up within walking distance of the town so we can nip in for a well earned beer or chippy.
Day4 – Day 4 sees us beginning to tackle the huge Loch Ness! We will paddle down from here aiming to make camp near Drumnadrochit where again we will be within walking distance of the town. On route we may spot Nessie… but we will definitely spot Urquhart Castle which is a stunning iconic fortress built right on the Lochside looking down the Loch. Around here the waves often pick up a little (wind forms them) to make for an enjoyable paddle along with the waves behind us.
Day5 – Waking up to look out on the shores of Loch Ness we continue out SUP across Scotland trip paddling the final stretches of the Loch to then aim to finish on the river Ness paddling all the way into Inverness where we will then celebrate our accomplishments by heading up to the finish stone of the Great Glen Way. It is rare that people SUP across Scotland as normally people walk or bike it so you will be in a select crowd of people who have achieved this! You will need to arrange transportation back to the start.
We pride ourselves on providing as much kit as possible for you. However, the list below is what we recommend you should bring to your SUP across Scotland Adventure Expedition Journey:
- Something to go underneath a wetsuit – swimwear or a spare pair of underwear. (We do provide swimshorts to wear over the top of the wetsuit for greater style and modesty.)
- Travel insurance. (We are insured for all our trips, but we recommend everyone has their own travel insurance as well.)
- Transportation to the venue. (We may be able to help with this though – if you need transportation please drop us an enquiry and we can see what we can do to help.)
- Lunch, water.
- Personal medication
- Sun cream, midge net
- Roll Mat & Sleeping Bag
- Stove, Gas, Cutlery
- Head torch
- Warm layers and spare clothes.
Here at Highland Outdoor Adventures, we pride ourselves on providing as much as we can but you are welcome to bring your own equipment if you do prefer. The list below is what we provide you with on the day.
- Hala SUP’s -The world’s best Stand up Paddleboards – perfect for our SUP across Scotland Adventure Expedition Journey.
- Buoyancy aids.
- SUP leashes on a quick release belt.
- Neoprene wetsuit boots.
- Swimshorts to go over the top of wetsuits.
- Dry bags so you can bring equipment you might want along with you.
- All instruction.
- All first aid and safety equipment.
- Photographs of the trip provided for you at no extra cost! If the weather is good we will have a DSLR professional camera and maybe even a drone, so we can take photos and videos of your adventure and you can look back at the day for years to come. If the weather is less favourable we will bring a GoPro (as it is waterproof) so we will still be able to take photos for you.
- Fully certified instructors who are the best in the country on a SUP
From £350 per adult
January — December
Tour company information
Highland Outdoor Adventures
Looking for a fun and exciting adventure outdoor activity in the Highlands which will be a highlight of your holiday in Scotland? Or maybe you live here and want an outing on the rivers, lochs, sea, mountains or crags? Or perhaps you want to improve your skills, work to an assessment or take a qualification in paddling or climbing? Welcome to Highland Outdoor Adventures offering a range of climbing, walking and paddling options for individuals, groups and the whole family – including outings and courses for all levels (beginners through to experts).
Other tours from this company
Spey Descent Paddleboarding (SUP) 5 Day Expedition
Experience the thrill of a lifetime on a 5 day camping River Spey Sup Descent Ad...
Arisiag 2 day SUP Expedition
Experience the stunning beauty of Scotland’s west coast on a two-day Arisaig SUP...
River Tay Sup 5 Day Descent
The Loch & River Tay 5 day SUP descent journeys from the central highlands of Ki...
Gorge Scrambling Half Day
Gorge Scrambling at the Truim Falls The Truim Falls is located near Newtonmore...
The content of many of our web listings is provided by third party operators and not VisitScotland. VisitScotland accepts no responsibility for (1) any error or misrepresentation contained in third party listings, and (2) the contents of any external links within web listings ((1) and (2) together hereinafter referred to as the "Content"). VisitScotland excludes all liability for loss or damage caused by any reliance placed on the Content. The Content is provided for your information only and is not endorsed by VisitScotland.