Edinburgh & Romantic Borders
Embark on a road trip that blends coastal views, rural landscapes, the bustling capital city, and rich historical experiences. Delight in the beauty of centuries-old houses and time-honoured abbeys and walk in the footsteps of Sir Walter Scott!
Be immersed in Scottish and city culture before joining the coast with its seaside towns, nature reserves, beaches and harbours. Then travel inland along the borders to the heart of the Scottish Borders.
Explore Gothic architecture, and follow in the footsteps of Scottish Kings and Queens. Complete the road trip with a visit to an atmospheric 15th-century chapel. This self-drive road trip itinerary takes you through the history and heritage of the Scottish Borders with dramatic scenery.
The cost is £4.99 to access the online road trip itinerary for yourself and your group, for 12 months on UncoverBritain, to use when planning and on the road. You can choose and book accommodations, attractions and experiences interested in. If you're looking for a vehicle for the road trip, take a look here.
- Discover Edinburgh's rich history and culture, from iconic landmarks like Edinburgh Castle to the lush parks and gardens surrounding the city.
- Experience festivals year-round in Edinburgh, including the renowned Edinburgh International Festival and Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
- Explore the romantic Scottish Borders, adorned with picturesque landscapes, ancient abbeys like Melrose Abbey, and historic castles such as Abbotsford House.
- Take leisurely walks through scenic forests, charming villages, and along riverbanks, creating the perfect atmosphere for a romantic getaway.
- Indulge in the finest Scottish Borders produce, from fresh local fare to exquisite whisky, making it a food and drink lover's paradise.
About the road trip itinerary:
- Access on 2 devices (mobile, tablet or desktop) for 12 months
- Suggested fully flexible mapped route – Around 153 miles (247km) with a drive time of around 5 hours, vehicle dependent.
- Adjust to suit between 3 and 14 nights
- 13 destination location guides
- Map pinpoints for: Viewpoints, Places of interest, Hidden gems, Wild swim spots and On-screen spots
- Map pinpoints for: Campsites, Motorhome stops & almost wild spots, Hotels, B&Bs, guesthouses and lodges
- Access on 2 devices (12 mths) & make the best of your holiday with planner/maps
- Fully-flexible to create your perfect itinerary from 5 nights to 14 nights
- Maps, destinations, attractions, campsites, hotels etc, hidden gems, viewpoints
- All in one place, with embedded links for the most up-to-date information
- Saves hours of searching so you won't miss a thing, before and during your break
If you're looking for other road trip ideas in Scotland, take a look at our Scottish road trips.
Tour company information
Uncover Britain provides road trip itineraries for some of the best and most scenic Scottish road trips. The road trips in Scotland include the well-known and well-loved North Coast 500. However, road trippers can uncover their own Scotland with one of the other popular routes, such as the West Coast of Scotland, including the amazing Isle of Skye, the former 'Kingdom of Fife, with a visit to non-other than the home of Golf, and discover more about Edinburgh and the Romantic Borders.
Other tours from this company
Scottish Heritage Golf Road Trip
Departs: Stirling, St Andrews, Dundee, Edinburgh, The Kingdom of Fife
Embark on an extraordinary journey through Scotland's golfing legacy with our Sc...
North Coast of Scotland (NC500)
Departs: Thurso, Wick, Applecross, Ullapool, Inverness
Discover the beauty of Scotland on the North Coast 500, a scenic route starting...
Kingdom of Fife
Departs: Culross, Dunfermline, Anstruther, Falkland, St Andrews, Dunfermline and West Fife
Explore the historic "Kingdom of Fife" and the scenic East Coast, shaped by the...
Wild West Coast Road Trip
Departs: Inveraray, Oban, Ardnamurchan, Fort William, Glencoe, Glenfinnan, Plockton, Ardnamurchan a...
Embark on a road trip to the West Coast of Scotland, winding through rugged moun...
The content of many of our web listings is provided by third party operators and not VisitScotland. VisitScotland accepts no responsibility for (1) any error or misrepresentation contained in third party listings, and (2) the contents of any external links within web listings ((1) and (2) together hereinafter referred to as the "Content"). VisitScotland excludes all liability for loss or damage caused by any reliance placed on the Content. The Content is provided for your information only and is not endorsed by VisitScotland.