As seen on screen:
- Macbeth (2015) – Starring Michael Fassbender, Macbeth used a number of locations on Skye. The Quiraing is the setting for the point in the film when Macbeth returns from battle and is anointed The Thane of Cawdor by King Duncan.
- The BFG (2016) – Roald Dahl’s classic children’s story was reimagined for the big screen in 2016, with the landscapes of the Quiraing and the Storr on Trotternish Ridge, and the mountainous Cuillin, inspiring the fictional ‘Giants’ Land’.
- Stardust (2007) – Skye looks truly magical in this fairy tale adventure. Michelle Pfieffer’s wicked character Lamia can be seen on the Quiraing as she sets out to hunt down Yvaine, a fallen star.
- The Land that Time Forgot (1975) – This fantasy adventure film had everything; submarines, dinosaurs and Skye! The final scenes featured Quiraing (and Old Man of Storr) which were turned into sea cliffs at end of the film as the hero casts his message in a bottle into the waves. Did you know that you can walk in actual dinosaur footprints at nearby Staffin?
- Snow White and the Huntsman (2012) – Kristen Stewart took the titular role in this dark fantasy film. Seen from the sky, the Quiraing was the landscape which lay in between the enchanted forest and snow forest. You can also see a group of travellers travelling over the Old Man of Storr.
- 47 Ronin (2013) – A samurai adventure starring Keanu Reeves, the Quiraing was used as the location of the film’s giant Buddha.
- Coming up: King Arthur: Legend of the Sword and Transformers: The Last Knight, both due to be released in 2017, may feature scenes shot at the Quiraing.
How to get there:
Located in the north part of the island, the Quiraing can be reached by car, following the road to Uig from Portree. There’s parking at the top of the hill on the road in between Uig and Staffin. In addition, there are bus services from Portree which pass the Quiraing.
It’s best to take in the Quiraing on foot by following the rough path, where you’ll enjoy splendid views of the Trotternish Ridge.