There are many reasons to visit vibrant Glasgow the weekend before Christmas; whether it is for frantic last minute shopping, jolly festive dining or perhaps just the warm feeling of merriment in one of Scotlandâ€™s friendliest cities.
This December, there is also a unique sporting extravaganza to enjoy. Amidst all the liveliness of the cityâ€™s build up to Christmas, on 20 – 21 December, Glasgowâ€™s Tollcross International Swimming Centre will play host to the third Duel in the Pool between the USA and the European Allstars. So why not splash out with swimmingâ€™s answer to The Ryder Cup?
In this star-studded battle of the swimming elite, the Duel will feature a total of 15 menâ€™s and 15 womenâ€™s events split between two sessions. The first begins on Friday evening with doors opening at 4.45pm, and concludes with a day-session on Saturday, starting at 11.45am. You could also be in with the chance to win a pair of tickets for each session!
So, how does the competition work?
- There are 13 individual races and two relays for men and women.
- Teams can enter up to four athletes for each individual event and one team for the relays.
- Scoring for individual races will be five, three and one point for the top three positions while the winners of the relays will take all seven points.
- There are 131 points available between 30 events and the first team to 66 points will be announced the winner.
- Each athlete can be entered in up to six events.
Throughout the competition, look out for some of Scotlandâ€™s finest swimmers, including Olympic silver medallist Michael Jamieson, Craig McNally, Robbie Renwick and Hannah Miley. There will also be recognisable overseas talent in the form of USA gold medallists Ryan Lochte, Conor Dwyer, Shannon Vreeland and Tyler Clary.
This Ultimate Swimming Showdown will be a fantastic chance to catch a glimpse of things to come at one of the state-of-the-art venues being used at next summerâ€™s XX Commonwealth Games. It promises to be a fun-filled, high octane clash of skill and world-class technique. Come and cheer on your favourites; the European Allstars will be eager to hoist the prestigious trophy in front of a home crowd and every athlete will be attempting world record breaking times. So donâ€™t miss out, and buy your tickets here.
If youâ€™re coming through for the event, you can also enjoy the city’s build-up to Christmas. Last minute shopping can be enjoyed on the Style Mile, a fabulous selection of high street favourites, niche stores and special boutique finds.Â There is fantastic free entertainment, attractions, live music and an ice rink at theÂ Christmas MarqueeÂ on George Square and the city will be abuzz with festive cheer, bright lights and colourful seasonal scenes.
Latest posts by Annierose Knox (see all)
- 9 sailing snaps which will make you want to flee dry land - July 19, 2016
- Top tournament golf courses you can play yourself - July 4, 2016
- 5 incredibly scenic weekend road trips in Scotland - June 20, 2016