From backpacking bunkhouses and cheap hostels to traditional blackhouses; basic Scottish youth hostels to boutique huts in the forest, explore Scotland on a budget by staying in a hostel. Hostel holidays are great fun!
What Can I Expect At A Hostel in Scotland?
Hostels in Scotland offer a budget-friendly and sociable way to see the country. You can check how many hostels there are and where to find them on this handy hostelling map of Scotland. No longer just for the young, but for the young at heart too, hostels welcome everyone including families, groups, clubs, backpackers and solo travellers.
Book a hostel holiday in Scotland and you can expect:
- a bed in an economical dormitory, or a chic and spacious private room with shared or private en-suite facilities. Some hostels can be booked out for large groups.
- self-catering cooking facilities where you can make breakfast or an evening meal - pots, pans, plates and cups will be provided, but don't forget to bring food, especially if the hostel is remote.
- a common room where you can meet other guests, often with a TV, books, games, and guides to the area.
- drying facilities for wet gear - hostels are great for backpacking or long-distance hiking.
- luggage storage facilities - your dorm bed will usually have its own locker, but it's worth bringing along your own padlock for extra security.
- free WiFi - so you can book tours, download maps or print tickets, or plan the next stop on your trip around Scotland.
If you choose a bed in a dormitory, it will most likely be split by gender, but some hostel trips also offer mixed dorm rooms. Most hostels provide you with a sheet and pillow but require you bring your own sleeping bag or duvet, however; some hostels hire these out for a small charge.
What is a hostel stay likely to cost?
Booking a nice cheap hostel somewhere beautiful in Scotland is easy. A good place to start looking for cheap hostels is the Hostelling Scotland website. Here you'll find ways to book and prices too.
Are Hostels Family Friendly?
Not only are hostels a safe and convenient option for families, they can often provide a prime city centre location with an affordable price tag.