Some hae meat and canna eat, / And some wad eat that want it, / But we hae meat and we can eat, / And sae the Lord be thankit.
Have you been practicing your Selkirk Grace? Burns Night is just around the corner and you certainly won’t be stuck for events and Burns Suppers in Scotland this Burns Night!
Celebrated annually on Robert Burns’ birthday, 25 January, Burns Night gathers Scots and Scots-at-heart around the world to pay tribute to the great poet’s life and works, and the holiday is marked by a jam-packed programme of festivities across the country.
Burns Supper being celebrated at Prestonfield House, Edinburgh
Burns Night events in Scotland in 2017
With shows and events for all tastes and ages, the ceremonies range from small, informal gatherings to large-scale dining experiences full of pomp and all sorts of entertainment, from an Interactive Haggis Hunt to light shows and more. But what they all have in common is that they centre around key Scottish traditions: there will be haggis eating, whisky toasts, poetry readings and songs, before everyone joins in the ceilidh dancing. And most importantly – good company and loads of fun!
If you’re looking for the best traditional Burns feasts, these are just a few of the wide selection of Burns Night events, but this is by no means an exhaustive list. Many of Scotland’s restaurants, bars and local Burns clubs hold Burns Night events too.
- 20 January, Tam o’ Shanter: Telling The Big Tale at the Scottish Storytelling Centre, Edinburgh
- 20 & 21 January, Burns Ceilidh Supper at the Beach Ballroom, Aberdeen
- 20 – 28 January, Robert Burns Night at the Ghillie Dhu, Edinburgh
- 20 – 28 January, Big Burns Supper in Dumfries
- 22 January, Burns Unbound at the National Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh
- 24 January, Café Ceilidh: Burns Celebration at the Scottish Storytelling Centre, Edinburgh
- 24 & 25 January, Rabbie: A Burns Night Spectacular at the Edinburgh Festival Theatre
- 24 & 25 January, Supper with Burns at the Scottish Storytelling Centre, Edinburgh
- 25 January, A Burns Night Murder at Strathpeffer Pavilion, Strathpeffer
- 25 January, The Burns Supper at Burns Cottage in Alloway, Ayr
- 25 – 29 January, Alloway 1759 in Alloway, Ayrshire
- 28 January, Perth Burns Annual Dinner at the Salutation Hotel, Perth
Hosting this event at home? Have a look at our How to Hold Your Own Burns Supper eBook!
If all that talk of haggis and whisky and ceilidh has whet your appetite and you happen to know of a good place to commemorate the birthday of Robert Burns, share your tips and highlights in the iKnow Community.
Latest posts by Aldona Krzemien (see all)
- Trainspotting 2: what have Renton and his pals been up to for the last 20 years? - January 20, 2017
- Burns Night Events & Burns Suppers 2017 - November 9, 2016
- 10 interesting facts about Robert Burns - November 9, 2016