Some hae meat and canna eat, / And some wad eat that want it, / But we hae meat and we can eat, / And sae the Lord be thankit.
Have you been practicing your Selkirk Grace? Burns Night is just around the corner and you certainly won’t be stuck for events and Burns Suppers in Scotland this Burns Night!
Celebrated annually on Robert Burns’ birthday, 25 January, Burns Night gathers Scots and Scots-at-heart around the world to pay tribute to the great poet’s life and works, and the holiday is marked by a jam-packed programme of festivities across the country.
Burns Night events in Scotland in 2020
With shows and events for all tastes and ages, the ceremonies range from small, informal gatherings to large-scale dining experiences full of pomp and all sorts of entertainment, from an Interactive Haggis Hunt to light shows and more. But what they all have in common is that they centre around key Scottish traditions: there will be haggis eating, whisky toasts, poetry readings and songs, before everyone joins in the ceilidh dancing. And most importantly – good company and loads of fun!
If you’re looking for the best traditional Burns feasts, these are just a few of the wide selection of Burns Night events, but this is by no means an exhaustive list. Many of Scotland’s restaurants, bars and local Burns clubs hold Burns Night events too.
- 17 – 26 January, Robert Burns Night at the Ghillie Dhu, Edinburgh
- 21 January – 9 February, Burns and Beyond, Edinburgh
- 23 January – 2 February, Big Burns Supper across Dumfries
- 24 & 25 January, Royal Yacht Britannia Burns Supper, Edinburgh
- 24 January, Burns on the Beach, Alloway, Ayrshire
- 24 January (Inverness) and 31 January (Aberdeen) Nae Ordinary Burns Supper
- 25 January, A Blazing Burns Night Spectacular at Robert Burns Birthplace Museum in Alloway, Ayr
- 25 January, Burns Supper at Glamis Castle, Angus
- 25 January, Perth Burns Annual Dinner at the Salutation Hotel, Perth
- 25 & 26 January, Burns Ceilidh at Lauriston Hall, Edinburgh
- 25 & 26 January, Robert Burns Celebration during City of Perth’s Riverside Light Nights, Perth (25 January – 2 February)
- Throughout January, Burns an’ a’ that! 2020 – Burns Hame Toun, Alloway, Ayrshire
Hosting this event at home? Have a look at our How to Hold Your Own Burns Supper eBook for all the info you’ll need and play this Burns Night Spotify playlist – filled with Scottish classics to match the occasion!
If all that talk of haggis and whisky and ceilidh has whet your appetite and you happen to know of a good place to commemorate the birthday of Robert Burns, share your tips and highlights in the iKnow Community.