Fragrance is one of the best ways to transport you to the dreamiest Scottish locations without setting foot outside your front door. Treat yourself – or someone special – to these beautiful scented gifts including hand-poured candles, organic soaps, luxury perfumes and even hand sanitisers; all of which pay tribute to the unique nature, landscapes and traditions of Scotland, and are available to purchase online.
Discover how a spritz, lather or strike of a match can take you on a journey through some of Scotland’s favourite landscapes, with notes of Highland heather, whisky, Hebridean seaweed, ripe berries and more.
Scotland is now operating a 5-level Covid-19 system on a local basis. This means different areas of Scotland will have different restrictions.
Find out what level each area is under and read more about the 5-level Covid-19 restrictions to plan and book ahead when considering your trip. You can search for businesses that are open , and Good to Go, where they have a Covid-19 risk assessment.
Scottish Borders – Love Scottish Candles
Operating out of her Hawick workshop, Love Scottish Candles by Lesley Landels is a welcome addition to the town’s prestigious array of producers which includes internationally renowned textile mills and The Borders Distillery. The Fireside, Smoked Oak and Scottish Rose scented candles are among the fragrant candles and diffusers on offer which evoke the rustic spirit of this verdant region, home to ancient woodlands and some of the finest gardens in the country.
- Did you know? Love Scottish Candles opened their first shop in Melrose in 2017. Visitors may also be able visit Lesley at her workshop in Hawick.
Edinburgh – Jorum Studio and Kingdom Scotland
View this post on Instagram
Decisively different, Carduus is a complex and romantic scent, brewed as a homage to childhood summers in the Scottish countryside . You have shared so many stories with us of how this fragrance brings nostalgia for your own childhood, many spent in widely different places to ours. . . . #jorumstudio #progressivebotany #sotd #carduus #eaudeparfum #handmade #perfume #edinburgh #scotland #shop #nichefragrance #fragrance #madeinscotland #nicheperfumer #nicheperfume #everydayinspiration #everydayencounters #feastyoureyes #feedyoursenses
Jorum Studio is a young artisanal perfumery that prides itself on handcrafting every element that goes into producing its original scents, from the in-house blending of its unique formulations using the purest raw ingredients to the striking hand screen-printed logo on the label. Choose from a tantalising array of bold, distinct and thoroughly modern fragrances which will help you stand out from the crowd.
- Try this: Carduus Eau de Parfum is inspired by the defiant motto of Scotland, Nemo me impune lacessit – ‘No one provokes me without impunity’ and references the national flower with a rich note of musk-thistle.
Kingdom Scotland embraces a unique approach to perfumery. Inspired by its founder’s previous experience in the whisky world, each fragrance is released as an exclusive bottling, carefully blended and patiently matured prior to its unveiling. Inspired by everything from Scotland’s rugged geography to its lusciously ripe fruits; the pines of the Caledonian Forest to exotic flora imported by intrepid 19th century Scottish plant hunters; each fragrance has an interesting story to tell.
- Try this: Kingdom Botanica is the newest release from the fragrance house, crafted in collaboration with the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh to celebrate its 350th anniversary.
Glasgow & The Clyde Valley – Neatly Wrapped Co.
View this post on Instagram
DISCOUNT – our recent blog post (link in bio) has a handy discount code which will last to the end of the month, ideal for Mother’s Day coming up! Last orders for guaranteed Mother’s Day delivery are tomorrow 💜 📸 @walnutwasp . . . . #neatlywrapped #neatlywrappedco #woodwick #candleshop #glasgow #soywax #teamBB #giftsformums #mothersdaygifts #mothersdaygift #amarettosour #cocktailcandles #vegancandle #vegancandles #ecofriendlycandle #nontoxiccandles #nontoxic #packagingporn #instagood #pursuepretty #postitfortheaesthetic #craftsposure #candleporn #aromatherapy #wellbeing #allwhatsbeautiful #packagingdesign #minimalism #packagingporn #styledshoot
These hand-poured soy wax candles don’t just smell fantastic and crackle when lit – they’re also one hundred percent sustainable! The brainchild of two Glaswegian siblings, David and Shannon, the Neatly Wrapped Co. creates organic, plastic-free candles presented in chic recyclable packaging. Check out their wonderful cocktail-inspired collection featuring whisky, amaretto and mojito for a great stocking-filler.
- Did you know? Clyde Candles is another family-run business which produces its natural soy wax candles and reed diffusers in a small workshop on the north banks of the River Clyde using quality essential oils. The Scottish Collection features a trio of classic Scottish scents: smoky peat, delicate Highland heather and soothing lavender.
The Heart of Scotland – Scottish Fine Soaps
View this post on Instagram
The soothing and calming effects of nature and water are the inspiration behind our unique Sea Kelp Marine Spa Collection, bringing all that positive energy into your pamper routine. You'll feel rejuvenated and ready to take on any adventure, like climbing the rocky coves of Gruinard Bay. 📷: @twintheworld
For four generations The Scottish Fine Soaps Company has been crafting wonderful smelling products at their factory nestled at the foot of the Ochil Hills. Here, locally harvested and organic ingredients are fused with sustainably sourced palm oil to create their award-winning and cruelty-free Au Lait, Silver Buckthorn and Sea Kelp product ranges.
- Try this: Browse a divine-smelling selection of beautifully packaged tinned soaps featuring quintessential Scottish notes of bluebell, heather, oatmeal, seaweed and whisky.
Isle of Arran – ARRAN Sense of Scotland
View this post on Instagram
"Applies easily, dries quickly with a lovely light fresh fragrance…This product is soothing and life-affirming hand care at a difficult time. I highly recommend it!" – Customer review of our Hand Cleansing Gel . Don't just take our word for it, discover the naturally nourishing properties of our NEW antibacterial Hand Gel for yourself with 6 for £20. Tap the link in our bio to shop now. . 📷: @walnutwasp _________________________________ #ARRANSenseofScotland #AloeVera #HandGel #Antibacterial #HandCare #CleanHands #KeepHandsClean #CrueltyFree #MadeInScotland
Established over 30 years ago, ARRAN Sense of Scotland is one of Scotland’s best-loved brands. The entire product range – including bath and body ranges, skin care, fragrances, scented candles and hand sanitisers – is still made and hand-finished in Scotland. Now sold in over 30 countries, Arran remains the brand’s source of inspiration, fuelled by a landscape of dramatic contrasts, captivating colours and an incredible array of flourishing flora.
- Try this: Elevate your hand-washing routine with one of the triple-milled soap bars or gorgeous hand washes enriched with minerals and essentials oils, which borrow the enchanting names of places such as ‘Lochranza’, ‘Glen Rosa’, ‘Glenashdale’ and others which dot the island’s walking trails.
East Neuk of Fife – Jo Macfarlane
View this post on Instagram
Scatterings of cheerful yellow blossoming gorse, combined with hints of heathland breeze, soft woods, caring musks and rich balsam.⠀ #picoftheday #candlemaking #lightup #candlemaker #candlemagic #candletowers #candleshop #candlelight #love #candlelover #events #sales #yankee #onlinestore #waxmelts #handmade #home #scent #homedecor #soywax #vegan #waxaddict #giftideas #love #beautiful #happy #cute #loveisintheair
Jo Macfarlane makes her beautiful vegan scented candles and runs candle-making workshops at her studio, ‘Candle Towers’ in the east coast fishing village of Anstruther. Bursting with aromatic essential oils, every candle is lovingly produced in a small batch and hand poured using natural soy wax free from palm oil and SLS (sodium lauryl sulphate). Try the Gorse Luxury Candle which evokes the yellow-tinged coastal paths that fringe the East Neuk in springtime or the Coastal Breeze Candle which conjures the sparkling waters, salty air and sandy beaches of this picturesque peninsula.
- Try this: In addition to her in-person candle-making workshops held at Candle Towers, Jo also offers a Candle Making Made Easy online course. Get to grips with the art of candle-making with this step-by-step video series.
- Did you know? The Fife Lavender Soap Bar is produced in collaboration with the local Willow & Plum Soap Co. which creates natural cold-pressed soaps infused with ethically sourced ingredients grown Fife including eucalyptus.
Highlands – The Highland Soap Company
The Highland Soap Company operates from its workshop with sweeping views overlooking the Great Glen in the heart of the Highlands. Employing time-honoured traditional processes using locally harvested botanicals, organic oil extracts and creamy butters, the company boasts an outstanding range of bath and body care products alongside candles, reed diffusers and skincare. Give the Scottish Boy Myrtle range a try – an antibacterial herb described as Scotland’s answer to tea tree oil – and the delectable Scottish Raspberry Cranachan and Whisky & Honey soap bars.
- Try this: Ever wished you could relive a magical day spent in the wilds of Scotland or a carefree afternoon at the beach? The Nairn-based Coast Candle Co. can help with its fragrances inspired by the romantic glens, serene lochs, fiery sunsets and pristine beaches of the west coast.
Hebrides – The Isle of Skye Candle Company
The Isle of Skye Candle Company began life in a grass-roofed croft on the Braes of Skye. From these humble origins the company has grown into a brand with five stores across the UK and an extensive range of wildly popular candles, soaps and skincare products; all handmade by Skye locals using sustainably sourced soya wax.
- Try this: Start with the fresh and woody Scots Pine. For each sale the company pledges £1 to fund the campaign to preserve the precious Loch Arkaig Forest, a descendant of the ancient Caledonian Forest.
- Did you know? Fellow Highland home fragrance maker Essence of Harris recently teamed up with its neighbour Isle of Harris Gin Distillery to create their Spirit of the Hebrides hand sanitiser.
Aberdeen – Mydlo
Mydlo is a new soap company that has a mission to help fight plastic pollution in the north east of Scotland. Aside from the label attached to each bar printed on recycled paper, Mydlo’s eight-strong range of soaps boast zero packaging and are packed with essential oil goodness and enriching natural extracts. Find them on shelves across the region including Butterfly Effect in Insch, the zero-waste ‘refillery’ and café.
Orkney – Orkney Star Soap
Experience a little piece of Orcadian magic each day with the cold-processed soaps, shampoos and traditionally hand-made balms from Orkney Star Island Soap. Created using carefully blended recipes on the isle of Stronsay, every product is infused with the natural wonder of Orkney.
- Did you know? This small business is one of the stops on The Stronsay Craft Trail. You can visit the owner Simone at her soap kitchen by appointment.
- Try this: Heidrun Cosmetics based in Kirkwall offers an equally indulgent and ethically produced range of body care products including the best-selling Goats Milk and Blackcurrant Seed Oil Soap.
This is just a handful of the places where you can purchase beautiful scent products and other high-quality authentic Scottish gifts. Find out more about Scotland’s thriving arts and crafts scene and browse our huge directory of shops listing businesses which are now open and ‘Good to Go’.