Stranraer 19th Century Harbour
Take a walk through the Stanraer 19th Century Harbour, where the original pier survives today.
Stranraer's first harbour, the West Pier, was built in 1820. Previous to this ships had anchored offshore or made use of a series of unofficial wooden jetties to the west of the town at The Clayhole.
The construction of the West Pier provided good berths - it also allowed the Burgh Council to collect harbour duties - and by the 1830s there were regular steam-packets sailing to Girvan, Glasgow and Belfast. Today the original pier survives, and is still used by a small number of fishing boats and pleasure craft although the ground reclamation to the west has given it a slightly truncated appearance.
The official Irish ferry service began in 1862 with the construction of the East Pier and the completion of the railway to Stranraer. The first sailings were to Belfast with the Stranraer-Larne service being introduced in 18712.
The content of many of our web listings is provided by third party operators and not VisitScotland. VisitScotland accepts no responsibility for (1) any error or misrepresentation contained in third party listings, and (2) the contents of any external links within web listings ((1) and (2) together hereinafter referred to as the "Content"). VisitScotland excludes all liability for loss or damage caused by any reliance placed on the Content. The Content is provided for your information only and is not endorsed by VisitScotland.