Dunkeld’s Parent Larch is situated behind the town’s cathedral and dates from 1738, when a group of five larches were planted in the area.
In the grounds of what is now the Dunkeld Hilton House Hotel lies the Parent Larch, the sole survivor of the group of five larches brought to Scotland from the Tyrol mountains over 250 years ago. The trees became famous as the seed source for the large scale plantings carried out by the Dukes of Atholl on the hillsides around Dunkeld during the 18th and 19th centuries. The Dukes were instrumental in transforming the Perthshire landscape during this time. The hotel grounds also feature some of Scotland’s largest trees, including a Douglas fir, red fir and sequoia.
The majestic Parent Larch and riverside forms part of the easy-going Larch Walk, part of the Dunkeld and Birnam Waymarked Walks leaflet. More details are available from the Dunkeld Information Centre