St Andrews iCentre
Find our iCentre at 70 Market Street where a warm welcome awaits!
The town of St Andrews was named after Saint Andrew the Apostle.
There has been an important church in St Andrews since at least AD 747 and the burgh became the ecclesiastical capital of Scotland until the Scottish Reformation. The famous cathedral, which dates back to the 12th century, now lies in ruins but was once the largest building in Europe when the castle was home to the bishops while serving in St Andrews. It also features a ruined bottle dungeon, previously used to house prisoners.
St Andrews is home to the oldest university in Scotland dating back to 1413 and is the third oldest in the English speaking world. It is an integral part of the town and during term time students make up approximately one third of the town’s population.
Golf began around 1350 in St Andrews and is known globally as the ‘The Home of Golf’ partially due to the founding of The Royal and Ancient Golf Club in 1754. The famous Old Course is the most frequent venue for The Open Championship, the oldest of golf's four major championships.
The town also offers numerous museums, a botanic garden and an aquarium.
Suitable for visitors with limited mobility
Wheelchair access throughout
Transport and Parking
Awards & Schemes
The content of many of our web listings is provided by third party operators and not VisitScotland. VisitScotland accepts no responsibility for (1) any error or misrepresentation contained in third party listings, and (2) the contents of any external links within web listings ((1) and (2) together hereinafter referred to as the "Content"). VisitScotland excludes all liability for loss or damage caused by any reliance placed on the Content. The Content is provided for your information only and is not endorsed by VisitScotland.