The experience of skiing or snowboarding down Scotland's mountains at one of five ski centres will certainly live long in the memory. But thanks to dry ski slopes and indoor skiing, it doesn't actually have to be winter to enjoy great snowsports in Scotland! Get some pre-ski season practice and brush up on your skills on these year-round slopes.
The beauty of Snow Factor, which is located in Soar at intu Braehead near, Glasgow is that there's no need to get up early and check the weather. Why? Because real fresh snow is available all year-round. Fancy perfecting that parallel turn in July, or mastering the snow plow in September? If so, Snow Factor is the place for you.
Every day, the fantastic 200 m indoor slope is covered with 1,700 tonnes of fresh powdery snow, so hire a snowbarod or skis or simply bring your own. If you're looking to improve your skills in time for the new season, there is advanced coaching available and if you're a novice, there are lessons available on the separate beginners' slope.
Dry ski slopes
There are also a number of excellent outdoor dry ski slopes that are spread right throughout Scotland:
- Midlothian Snowsports Centre lies in the beautiful Pentland Hills Regional Park near Edinburgh. It's home to the longest dry ski slope in Europe and has been the training location of 29 Olympians.
- Insh Hall Ski School & Ski Lodge can be found near Kingussie in the Highlands and has a 60 m-long dry ski slope.
- Newmilns Snow and Sports Complex is set in East Ayrshire and as well as skiing and snowboarding, snow tubing is on offer.
- Bearsden Ski and Snowboard Club in East Dunbartonshire has an extensive range of lessons programmes, covering families through to adult race training.
- Polmonthill Ski Centre, located near Falkirk, has a 100 m dry sky slope, as well as a shorter nursery slope where kids as young as three can get lessons.
- Firpark Ski Centre in Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire, boasts a 120 m dry ski slope. There's tuition on offer for skiing, snowboarding and blading, as well as snow tubing.