Listen up, beach bums and surfer dudes! Scotland's golden sandy beaches, long coastlines and beautiful clear waters add up to one of Europe's top surfing destinations. Surrounded by Atlantic and North Sea swells throughout the year, you are guaranteed to catch some great waves. And thanks to its many lesser-known locations, you may even have the waves to yourself!
You can now travel short distances of around 5 miles to enjoy the outdoors and exercise in Scotland, to use public spaces for recreational purposes such as sitting to soak up the sun (where possible!), and to meet up with one other household in small numbers. Please remember to maintain physical distancing of 2 metres at all times, both indoors and outdoors.
The following activities are also now possible following the above advice during advice during Phase 1: cycling, fishing, horse riding, golf, walking, hiking and watersports.
What should I expect?
- The northerly tip of the Scottish mainland is known for providing the most consistent and best quality waves, and the town of Thurso is a world-class surf spot.
- The prevailing and strong south westerly winds which blow over the west coast mean that the Isle of Tiree, Islay and the area around the Kintyre peninsula are among the best places to windsurf in Europe. Similarly, some of the best and most consistent surf in Europe can be found around the west coast of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides. Also on the west coast, the Isle of Cumbrae is home to Scotland's premier watersports centre, sportscotland Cumbrae.
- On the east coast, check out Coldingham Bay, Dunbar and Pease Bay, which are a short drive from Edinburgh.
- You can expect consistent waves and breaks in Scotland in autumn and early winter and many surfers reckon Scotland is the best place to be at this time of year.
- Scottish coastlines are frequented by all types of surfers, from complete beginners to wave-riding professionals. It's a sport that can be enjoyed by all the family and makes for a great active day out on the water.
- You can rent equipment at surf schools - they will provide you with everything you need including wetsuits and boards.