Christmas is a time of goodwill and although things might look slightly different this year, Inverness' warm and merry welcome is sure to bring some festive cheer. Whether you're planning to hit the town and experience the city's wonderful shopping options, or you're planning a festive city break for next year, you'll have lots of things to look forward to.
Need some stocking fillers?
Those perfect pressies for your loved ones aren't going to buy themselves! Inverness' city centre is ideal for stocking up for Christmas, and you'll also find some incredible seasonal craft goodies on offer.
- From top fashions to state-of-the-art electronics, enjoy browsing for the perfect gift at the Eastgate Shopping Centre.
- Explore the charms of the Victorian Market to find some unique present options.
- Looking for that hardback first edition? Pop into Leakey's second-hand bookshop. The shop, in a converted church, is believed to be one of the largest of its kind in Scotland, making it the ideal place to pick up a few treasures for your favourite bookworms.
- Eden Court Theatre and Brodie Castle, near Nairn, traditionally host Christmas fairs stocked with beautiful arts and crafts and delicious edibles, ideal for those special gifts.
What to look forward to in 2021
- Inverness’ winter festivities begin with the Christmas Lights Switch On, usually held late November. Watch the city light up.
- Take the family to Whin Park for some festive frolics at the Winter Wonderland in December. Meet Santa and his reindeers, walk amongst the beautifully lit trees and enjoy the thrills of the fairground rides.
- Panto? Oh yes you can! Catch a traditional performance of rib-tickling family entertainment or Christmas show at Eden Court Theatre, or attend one of the carol singing services held at various venues across Inverness – there might just be mulled wine and mince pies on the go, too!
- A Red Hot Night to Remember - Inverness knows how to see in the New Year. At Hogmanay, the city hosts the popular, family-friendly Red Hot Highland Fling celebration in the Northern Meeting Park – Scotland’s biggest free Hogmanay party! Dance your way to ‘the bells’ with lively Scottish music from brilliant performers.