We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.
Just what makes Scotland so special and worthy of a place on your must-visit holiday list? For starters, Scotland was voted 'the most beautiful country in the world' by readers of roughguides.com.
This section has all the answers you need. Find out:
- Who Nessie is, and where you can (maybe) find her
- What you can expect from our unique music, language, dance and culture
- Who our most famous Scots are - from Rabbie Burns to Macbeth
- What makes our history special - our castles, stone circles and more
- And great practical tips for planning a visit, LGBT-friendly events and how to get married in Scotland.
Take a look through this section, and you'll soon be an expert on everything from ceilidhs and William Wallace to standing stones and even our weather.