The UK is currently negotiating exit from the European Union - but that doesn't mean a trip to Scotland should be off the plans for EU visitors. Scotland is very much open to you, and a holiday here will be just as magical as ever.

Scotland has breath-taking landscapes, unique experiences and charming destinations, and our people are as friendly as always, ready to welcome you and show you around our small, but fascinating, country.

We've got all the practical information you need to plan a trip to Scotland in 2019, plus a few ideas that deserve to be on any itinerary, whether it's your first trip or your tenth you're planning!


Do I need a visa to visit Scotland after Brexit?

The UK is due to leave the EU in 2019. If the UK leaves the EU with a deal, what you need to enter Scotland will not change until 2021.

If the UK leaves without a deal, you will still be able to enter without a Visa if you're an Irish citizen, or from any other EU or EEA country, or Switzerland, but you may be limited to a visit of up to three months.

What will I need to show to enter Scotland after the UK leaves the EU?

What you need to show at the UK border will not change, even if the UK leaves without a deal.

You'll need to show a valid passport or national identity card if you're a citizen of either:

  • an EU country
  • Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland

Other citizens will need to show a valid passport.

Will travel to Scotland change at all?

Air, sea, road and rail passenger services between the UK and EU countries will continue as normal following Brexit.

If there is no deal, your consumer rights on travel will also remain largely unchanged.

Ferry and cross-border rail passengers will continue to be protected by the EU regulation on passenger rights.

Find more information on travelling by air, rail or sea and passenger consumer rights.

Can I bring my car and drive in Scotland?

The rules on driving in Scotland will not change after the UK's exit. You will need to carry an insurance green card:

  • If your vehicle is insured in an EU or EEA country;
  • The UK leaves either without a deal;
  • Or without a specific agreement on green cards.

Can I bring a pet to Scotland with me?

Yes, there are no changes to the way in which pets can be brought to Scotland from the EU, or from countries outside of the EU.

Will I be able to use my mobile phone in Scotland?

If the UK leaves the EU with a deal and you have a SIM card issued by a mobile phone network from an EU or EEA country, then you'll pay the same for calls, texts and mobile data in Scotland as you do in the EU.

If the UK leaves without a deal, how much you pay will depend on your mobile network.

For the latest information, please see the UK Government advice for visiting the UK after Brexit.