Half Day SUP Adventure
A half-day introductory stand up paddleboarding (SUP) course on Loch Insh in Scotland is an excellent opportunity to explore the scenic beauty of the Highlands and experience the thrill of SUP for the first time.
A half-day introductory stand up paddleboarding (SUP) course on Loch Insh in Scotland is an excellent opportunity to explore the scenic beauty of the Highlands and experience the thrill of SUP for the first time. Loch Insh is a stunning freshwater loch located in the heart of the Cairngorms National Park near Aviemore, surrounded by breathtaking mountain scenery with the Cairngorms on one side and the Monadhliaths on the other. On top of this there are forest, islands and even a wonderful cafe for a coffee after if that takes your fancy.
The half-day SUP introduction course on Loch Insh typically lasts for 3 hours, and is suitable for people of all ages and fitness levels. The course will be led by one of our qualified SUP instructors (one of the best in the country) who will provide you with all the necessary equipment, including a board (suited to your height/weight), paddle (according to your height), and safety gear. You’ll begin the course with a short safety briefing and a demonstration of the basic SUP techniques.
Once you’re comfortable with the basic techniques, you’ll take to the water and start exploring the loch while learning and developing your skills on route. The calm waters of Loch Insh are perfect for beginners, offering a tranquil and relaxing environment for you to practice your skills and build your confidence. Your instructor will guide you through the various techniques, including how to stand up on the board, how to balance, how to paddle, and how to turn. The day will be tailored to the group and your aims, if you have children we can happily accommodate the day to more games orientated and if you wish to learn as much as possible then we can tailor it to be more developmental.
As you progress through the course, you’ll have the opportunity to practice your skills and explore the loch at your own pace. You’ll paddle along the tranquil shoreline, admiring the stunning mountain scenery and spotting local wildlife such as Osprey, fish, and the odd swimmer off a sup.
Throughout the half day SUP introduction course, your instructor will provide you with helpful tips and feedback to help you improve your technique and build your confidence. You’ll also have plenty of opportunities to ask questions and learn more about SUP and the local area.
At the end of the course, you’ll hopefully return to shore feeling energized and exhilarated, with a newfound appreciation for the beauty of Loch Insh and the sport of stand up paddleboarding. You’ll also have the skills and knowledge you need to continue exploring other SUP destinations on your own, should you choose to do so.
We pride ourselves on providing as much kit as possible for you. However, the list below is what we recommend you should bring to your Half Day Introductory course:
- Something to go underneath a wetsuit – swimwear or a spare pair of underwear. (We do provide swimshorts to wear over the top of the wetsuit for greater style and modesty.)
- Travel insurance. (We are insured for all our trips, but we recommend everyone has their own travel insurance as well.)
- Transportation to the venue. (We may be able to help with this though – if you need transportation please drop us an enquiry and we can see what we can do to help.)
- Lunch, water.
- Personal medication
- Sun cream, midge net
Here at Highland Outdoor Adventures, we pride ourselves on providing as much as we can but you are welcome to bring your own equipment if you do prefer. The list below is what we provide you with on the day.
- Hala SUP’s -The world’s best stand up Paddleboards – perfect for this course.
- Buoyancy aids.
- Cags if it is windy or raining.
- SUP leashes on a quick release belt.
- Neoprene wetsuit boots.
- Swimshorts to go over the top of wetsuits.
- Dry bags so you can bring equipment you might want along with you.
- All instruction.
- All first aid and safety equipment.
- Photographs of the day provided for you at no extra cost! If the weather is good we will have a DSLR professional camera and maybe even a drone, so we can take photos and videos of your adventure and you can look back at the day for years to come. If the weather is less favourable we will bring a GoPro (as it is waterproof) so we will still be able to take photos for you.
- Fully certified instructors who are amongst the best in the country on a SUP.
- Changing Robes or a pop up tent for those who require or wish for more privacy when changing into a wetsuit.
From £40 per adult
January — December
- Small Group (1-16)
- Outdoor Activities
Tour company information
Highland Outdoor Adventures
Looking for a fun and exciting adventure outdoor activity in the Highlands which will be a highlight of your holiday in Scotland? Or maybe you live here and want an outing on the rivers, lochs, sea, mountains or crags? Or perhaps you want to improve your skills, work to an assessment or take a qualification in paddling or climbing? Welcome to Highland Outdoor Adventures offering a range of climbing, walking and paddling options for individuals, groups and the whole family – including outings and courses for all levels (beginners through to experts).
Other tours from this company
Spey Descent Paddleboarding (SUP) 5 Day Expedition
Experience the thrill of a lifetime on a 5 day camping River Spey Sup Descent Ad...
Arisiag 2 day SUP Expedition
Experience the stunning beauty of Scotland’s west coast on a two-day Arisaig SUP...
River Tay Sup 5 Day Descent
The Loch & River Tay 5 day SUP descent journeys from the central highlands of Ki...
SUP across Scotland 5 days
Departs: Fort William
This 5 day SUP across Scotland Trip paddle boards the waters of the Great Glen W...
The content of many of our web listings is provided by third party operators and not VisitScotland. VisitScotland accepts no responsibility for (1) any error or misrepresentation contained in third party listings, and (2) the contents of any external links within web listings ((1) and (2) together hereinafter referred to as the "Content"). VisitScotland excludes all liability for loss or damage caused by any reliance placed on the Content. The Content is provided for your information only and is not endorsed by VisitScotland.