Learn to Lead Winter Climbing Course
A winter lead climbing course in Aviemore & the Cairngorms, Scotland is designed for experienced climbers looking to expand their skills and gain learn greater independence.
A 1-3 day winter learn to lead climbing course in the Cairngorms, Scotland would begin with a meeting point in Aviemore at Tiso at 08:30. The first day will focus on technical skills, with an emphasis on safety and route planning. Participants will learn how to use ice axes, crampons and other equipment, and will practice setting up and managing anchor points. The following days will involve more challenging climbs, with a focus on developing the skills necessary for winter lead climbing.
Throughout the course, participants will receive expert instruction and guidance from experienced guides, as well as ample opportunity to practice and refine their skills in a supportive environment. The length of the course can be tailored to the needs and abilities of the participants, with the option to extend to a longer course for those who want more practice and experience. The course will conclude on the final day with a debrief and reflection on progress made.
Routes led will vary between grade 1-2 and may include things like Central Gully, Fiacaill Coulouir, the Slant, Central Left Hand or Jacobs Ladder.
We pride ourselves on providing as much kit as possible for you. However, the list below is what we recommend you should bring to your guided Winter Climbing Course:
- Travel insurance. (We are insured for all our trips, but we recommend everyone has their own travel insurance as well.)
- Transportation to the venue. (We may be able to help with this though – if you need transportation please drop us an enquiry and we can see what we can do to help.)
- Lunch, water.
- Personal medication
- Sun cream, sunglasses
- Clear goggles – we may be able to provide if required please contact us.
- Warm layers
- Thick gloves and a hat/buff
- B2 boots (we may be able to arrange hire of these if needed; please contact us if this is the case. But people normally prefer to use their own)
- Rucksack 30 litres or so will suffice
- Own personal kit IF YOU WISH TO Harness, helmet, Crampons, Axes etc (we do supply these but sometimes people prefer to use their own)
Here at Highland Outdoor Adventures, we pride ourselves on providing as much as we can but you are welcome to bring your own equipment if you do prefer. The list below is what we provide you with on the guided winter climbing course.
- All instruction.
- Ice Axes
- All Technical Climbing Gear
- All first aid and safety equipment.
- Photographs of the day provided for you at no extra cost! If the weather is good we will have a DSLR professional camera and maybe even a drone, so we can take photos and videos of your adventure and you can look back at the day for years to come. If the weather is less favourable we will bring a GoPro (as it is waterproof) so we will still be able to take photos for you.
From £225 per adult
November — March
- Aviemore and the Cairngorms
- Small Group (1-16)
- Outdoor Activities
Tour company information
Highland Outdoor Adventures
Looking for a fun and exciting adventure outdoor activity in the Highlands which will be a highlight of your holiday in Scotland? Or maybe you live here and want an outing on the rivers, lochs, sea, mountains or crags? Or perhaps you want to improve your skills, work to an assessment or take a qualification in paddling or climbing? Welcome to Highland Outdoor Adventures offering a range of climbing, walking and paddling options for individuals, groups and the whole family – including outings and courses for all levels (beginners through to experts).
Other tours from this company
Spey Descent Paddleboarding (SUP) 5 Day Expedition
Experience the thrill of a lifetime on a 5 day camping River Spey Sup Descent Ad...
Arisiag 2 day SUP Expedition
Experience the stunning beauty of Scotland’s west coast on a two-day Arisaig SUP...
River Tay Sup 5 Day Descent
The Loch & River Tay 5 day SUP descent journeys from the central highlands of Ki...
SUP across Scotland 5 days
Departs: Fort William
This 5 day SUP across Scotland Trip paddle boards the waters of the Great Glen W...
The content of many of our web listings is provided by third party operators and not VisitScotland. VisitScotland accepts no responsibility for (1) any error or misrepresentation contained in third party listings, and (2) the contents of any external links within web listings ((1) and (2) together hereinafter referred to as the "Content"). VisitScotland excludes all liability for loss or damage caused by any reliance placed on the Content. The Content is provided for your information only and is not endorsed by VisitScotland.