Night Photography Workshop
When the sun sets it doesn’t mean that you need to stop taking photographs. The Night Photography experience is designed for photographers who understand the fundamentals of exposure and now want to explore creativity in a different way.
A tripod is a must for night photography as we look at different ways you can use the available light from the street, vehicles or even the stars to illuminate a scene and create a terrific image that you would want to share.
The workshop is very much reliant on the dry weather as we will usually be working with long exposures and some aspects, such as star trails, require a cloudless evening so whilst the agenda for the session isn’t fixed, the techniques you will learn can be applied to many other forms of low light photography.
To get the most benefit from this night photography workshop you will need to understand how to use the manual functions on your camera. If you are unsure, we would recommend you attend the Switch to Manual session first.
- Ideal if you understand how to set the exposure of your camera manually.
- Look at different ways of using light to make exciting and interesting photographs as the daylight disappears.
- Experience level – Intermediate
What do I need?
- You will need a camera that you can set the exposure manually
- A good sturdy tripod.
- It is helpful to have a wide-angle lens and a long zoom, although if you only have a kit-lens then that will still be fine for this workshop
- The timing for this workshop is flexible on the conditions, it will last somewhere between 3 and 4 hours.
- Ensure your camera batteries are fully charged and also have a spare
- An empty memory card, we’ll take about 150 photographs during the session.
From £75 per adult
September — March
49 Connaught Place
Covid 19 Facilities
- Advance booking essential
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- Capacity limit
- Contactless payment only
- Online booking only
- Regular temperature checks for staff
Tour company information
Edinburgh Photography Workshop
Rich Dyson, LRPS is a professional PR & press photographer in Edinburgh who also has a passion for landscape photography. He is regularly published in a variety of national newspapers including The Times, Daily Telegraph and Guardian. He has also been exhibited numerous times in venues throughout Scotland including The Scottish Parliament. His friendly and welcoming approach to teaching is extremely popular with clients from absolute beginners through to seasoned photographers. Each of the workshops is designed in such a way that the fundamentals are explained in simple language.
Other tours from this company
Switch to Manual Photography Workshop
Departs: Edinburgh - City Centre, Edinburgh
Switch to Manual is an introductory workshop for camera users who tend to leave...
Landscape & Seascape Photography Workshop
The Firth of Forth is a stunning and diverse location for photography. During th...
The content of many of our web listings is provided by third party operators and not VisitScotland. VisitScotland accepts no responsibility for (1) any error or misrepresentation contained in third party listings, and (2) the contents of any external links within web listings ((1) and (2) together hereinafter referred to as the "Content"). VisitScotland excludes all liability for loss or damage caused by any reliance placed on the Content. The Content is provided for your information only and is not endorsed by VisitScotland.