Switch to Manual Photography Workshop
Switch to Manual is an introductory workshop for camera users who tend to leave their camera set to Automatic modes, You can unleash the full creativity that your DSLR or Bridge camera can deliver in four hours
In four hours you will learn the fundamentals of exposure by exploring the use of aperture, shutter speed, ISO as well as a number of composition techniques that will take your photography to a new level.
The workshop starts in a relaxed way over a coffee in Edinburgh's Grassmarket area where you will discover what the thick manual that came with your camera should have told you. We’ll then head around some of the famous and not so famous Edinburgh landmarks so that you can practice the theory. The workshop ends at a local pub where we review the images you’ve taken with your new skills.
Groups of up to four can be accommodated within the workshop.
- Great for someone who takes photographs on a pre-set mode and would like to learn how to take better photographs.
- Ideal for beginners and doesn’t need any previous knowledge of photography.
- Everyone learns at different speeds, so the workshop can last between 3½ to 4½ hours.
- By the end of the workshop, you will have a good understanding of exposure and composition.
- Experience level – New to photography and beginners
What to bring?
- Any camera that has an ‘M’ mode. This means that you can manually set the exposure of your camera.
- If you have a long zoom lens then bring it along although it is not vital for the session.
- Ensure your camera batteries are fully charged and consider having a spare
- An empty memory card, we’ll take about 150 photographs during the session.
From £75 per adult
January — December
Covid 19 Facilities
- Advance booking essential
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- Capacity limit
- Contactless payment only
- Online booking only
- Regular temperature checks for staff
Tour company information
Edinburgh Photography Workshop
Rich Dyson, LRPS is a professional PR & press photographer in Edinburgh who also has a passion for landscape photography. He is regularly published in a variety of national newspapers including The Times, Daily Telegraph and Guardian. He has also been exhibited numerous times in venues throughout Scotland including The Scottish Parliament. His friendly and welcoming approach to teaching is extremely popular with clients from absolute beginners through to seasoned photographers. Each of the workshops is designed in such a way that the fundamentals are explained in simple language.
Other tours from this company
Night Photography Workshop
Departs: Edinburgh - City Centre, Edinburgh
When the sun sets it doesn’t mean that you need to stop taking photographs. The...
Landscape & Seascape Photography Workshop
The Firth of Forth is a stunning and diverse location for photography. During th...
The content of many of our web listings is provided by third party operators and not VisitScotland. VisitScotland accepts no responsibility for (1) any error or misrepresentation contained in third party listings, and (2) the contents of any external links within web listings ((1) and (2) together hereinafter referred to as the "Content"). VisitScotland excludes all liability for loss or damage caused by any reliance placed on the Content. The Content is provided for your information only and is not endorsed by VisitScotland.