Wherever you are coming from, travelling to Scotland is convenient and simple, with lots of travel options available. Once here, the country's road, rail and ferry network provides good access to all regions and to our many great visitor destinations.
Visiting Scotland from the UK
You can now travel around Scotland and stay overnight from England, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
You cannot travel to Scotland from Bedford, Bolton and Blackburn with Darwen. This applies from midnight on Sunday 23 May, and will be reviewed weekly.
Visiting Scotland from Overseas
Travel from some countries to Scotland is now possible.
From Monday 17 May, a new list of countries with coloured grading will be launched.
- Green - you will not need to quarantine on arrival, but you will have to take a PCR test for Covid-19.
- Amber - you must self-isolate on arrival for 10 days, and take two PCR tests.
- Red - you will be required to quarantine at a managed isolation hotel for 10 days.
You can see all of the countries on the current list.
Additional requirements for international visitors
You will be required to show proof of a negative Covid-19 test, taken no more than 72 hours before travel. Further information is available from the Scottish Government on pre-departure testing.
If you're coming from outside the Common Travel Area, you will need to self-isolate in a designated quarantine hotel for 10 days at a cost of £1,750 per person. During this self-isolation you will be tested for COVID-19 on days two and eight.
Every visitor needs to provide their journey and contact details. This applies to those who land in another part of the UK, and travel on by other means to Scotland.
Find out more on health checks when entering Scotland.
VISITING THE ISLANDS
Anyone visiting Scotland's islands is:
- Encouraged to take two lateral flow tests before travelling.
- The first test should be three days before you travel.
- The second test on the day of travel.
- If you test positive, you would be able to take a more-sensitive PCR test to confirm the result before cancelling your visit.
- Find out more on details around how to order a rapid lateral flow test.
- You can order the lateral flow kit directly from the UK Government.